Honestly, it wasn’t my fault by Susan Boulton

Glitch

Supporter
honestly_k1.png

‘Your family is not left behind.’ It’s the unofficial slogan of the Commonwealth Expeditionary Force. Family units are supposed to be more stable for long-time missions, according to the higher-ups. I don’t think this can be applied to the Masons, somehow. Dad says ships like ours are really like small towns back home. All the good bits are on show for people passing through. The bad bits are hidden away behind closed doors and twitching curtains. Dad isn’t into people. He likes rocks, you know, anything from boulders to the layers that make up worlds. Mum, she likes bugs. Not bugs as in creepy-crawly types, with wings and feelers. She’s into the type that you can only see with a microscope, the ones that can either kill or cure you, depending on your luck I suppose.

Me? Well, I am into people. I love watching my fellow crew and listening to them. My teacher said I will make a good anthropologist someday. Listening when I wasn’t supposed to – that’s how I found out about the Masons. I mean, ‘reassigned mid-mission’? Did anyone in the crew really believe that? Come on. The way their quarters were sealed off for two days, and the first officer looking as yellow as a backer bat. I swear he was going to puke when I saw him in F section. Not to mention the way the senior staff talked in whispers for ages after the Masons were reassigned. Something really bad happened.

Read more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving a reply simply so that people replying triggers my memory to read this later! First couple of paragraphs look very intriguing.

Lovely story darling. I liked the twenty wing beat from the freedom and admired her skill. She made me to wonder what else she's hiding under those horns. There must be thousand tales she could tell you. I don't know if Glitch will like all of them. Who knows, she might give you a new book. If not, at least a few new short ones.