The best film, for you

As I age, I find that I gain exposure to more films... and I find that the themes I perceive in each film changes with age.... and what I desire to see in a film changes with age. What I enjoy viewing, what I critically esteem has changed over the years....

I can cite certain scenes and characters as phenomenal... but the entire movie?

The best movies have undeniably powerful and personal themes... revolving around the meaning of life.

I am not a professional critic, nor have seen enough films to judge any the best... but here are some of my favorite films that I feel are very strong (from start to finish) in their story, theme, characters, and presentation.

1. Glory, 1988. If you have not seen it, see it immediately... if not sooner. If you have seen it, see it again.

2. The General, 1926. I thought Keaton would have to over act (think of Danny Kaye, Kurt Russell and Jim Carey in an over acting contest) to make this movie.... but I was wrong. He is so subtle, so understated, that I found myself glued to his every single breath. Pure brilliance. Brilliance. Citizen Kane? I fell asleep. The General is riveting.

Hmmmmm.... both of my top two movies are set in the American Civil War.

Warlock, 1959. I know it sounds like fantasy, but it's a western. Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda get top billing, but Anthony Quinn steals the show. What is the price for peace? What is the price for justice? They may not be the same.

Mary Poppins, 1964. Julie Andrews. What? You need more than Julie Andrews? The Sherman brothers at their best. And even though it seems a movie for children, it is a call to arms for parents.

The Jungle Book, 1967. Disney animation. Catchy music. Finding a home.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 1975. Looking for the easy way out may just put you into the path evil. Have you seen Louise Fletcher as Frank's mother in Shameless? Nurse Ratched is the most terrifying villain I've ever seen.

Rocky, 1976. It's not the end result, it's the journey that matters. Sure, you can label every character as fitting the most common caricature or trope... but I feel that they are all so genuine and so well done that I readily identify them instead of mocking them.

Big Trouble in Little China, 1986. Humor. Fantasy. Mysticism. Cross-cultural misunderstandings. American heroics. Rapid fire dialogue. The "Asian sidekick is really the hero" idea was way ahead of it's time.

A Fish Called Wanda, 1988. Cleese, Palin, Curtis, and Kline skewer Anglo-American relations. Each relationship is hilarious... Cleese/Curtis, Curtis/Kline, Palin/Kline, and eventually Cleese/Palin are all memorable. And then Maria Aitken steals every scene with some bizarre lines.

The Joy Luck Club, 1993. Why are families the way they are? Intensely personal for me... my mother was a Chinese refugee... I understand if no one else puts this in their Top 500 list. There is no way for me to separate best from favorite with this movie.

As Good as it Gets, 1997. On the surface, it's a light hearted look at life's difficulties. Underneath, it is an insightful look at compulsion and depression.

The Wrestler, 2008. Is there any sin for which you cannot be forgiven? Can you forgive yourself?

Warrior, 2011. Do you have a younger sibling? Close in age, size, and strength? Did you compete for your parents' affections? Nolte, Hardy, and Edgerton deliver emotional kicks and punches from the opening scene.

Les Miserables, 2012. Jackman is adequate and Crowe is anemic. This movie was only about 50% of what it could have been. But because the source material is so so sooooo rich in theme (God, What is the nature of Man?, What is the purpose of Man?, Sin, Forgiveness, Redemption, Romance, Justice, Crime, Revolution, etc.) it was one of the best movies I've ever viewed.

Off the top of my head, these are the best movies I've seen... obviously, my best tend to be favorites... I could list movies that I think are more artistic, but less meaningful to me (American Beauty)... that push more boundaries, but are less powerful (The Departed)... that are extremely powerful, but less polished (Courageous)... that are stylish, but historically inaccurate (Braveheart, Cinderella Man)... or are lots of fun, but inane (Animal House, Stripes).