Discussion Thread -- August 2018 75-word Writing Challenge

Just the idea that a book is thought to be enough to rebuild a post-apocalyptic humanity (and I didn't see - well, in the sense of see but didn't see what I see. See?).
The thing that intrigued me most about that film was the concept of using cat grease as an effective sunscreen - who found that out?
(Poor liddle puddy tat)

What does 'usuable' mean?
Anybody care to enlighten?
(I genuinely don't know )

Sigh! "usuable" is a typo for usable. :oops:

@SamThomas .... Shelf Life .... Sam tells us a tale which gave me a shudder in the last sentence.

Well done SamThomas. A very fine effort for your first go around with the 75 word challenge.

Thanks for the review @Victoria Silverwolf, I think you always make my stories sound more interesting than they actually are.

Last edited:
The thing that intrigued me most about that film was the concept of using cat grease as an effective sunscreen - who found that out?
(Poor liddle puddy tat)

Ah Danny, Obviously you're not aware of the extensive search for the illusive hole grail in sun screen research. Although now banned, cat grease, used to be 'the' sun screen. It's UV blocking qualities is second to none, its waterproof and easy to apply.

It's discovery came about accidentally when the search for the best material for stringing tennis rackets came up with 'cat gut' back in Victorian times.

They used to use rain-dear gut string, but the advent (no pun) of the new ways to celebrate Christmas that Prince Albert brought with him, made that source unpopular (especially as so many rackets were being sold for children's use).

As you'll know, London at the time was over-run with feral cats (as a direct result of the Whittingham debacle). So the revelation that "cats guts' was even better was a God send. Both to the municipal authorities at the time and to the players of the ever growing popular sport. As it happens, cat gut needs to remain flexible both prior to stringing and during use so the fat that surrounds the cat's liver was a perfect and convenient lubrication source. From there it was a short step to finding players that wiped their forehead after applying the grease to the strings didn't get sun burnt during play.

Eh Viola.

@Pedro Del Mar .... Untitled .... Pedro shows us that even after books cease to be printed, their power remains inestimable.

Ah Danny, Obviously you're not aware of the extensive search for the illusive hole grail in sun screen research. Although now banned, cat grease, used to be 'the' sun screen. It's UV blocking qualities is second to none, its waterproof and easy to apply.

It's discovery came about accidentally when the search for the best material for stringing tennis rackets came up with 'cat gut' back in Victorian times.

They used to use rain-dear gut string, but the advent (no pun) of the new ways to celebrate Christmas that Prince Albert brought with him, made that source unpopular (especially as so many rackets were being sold for children's use).

As you'll know, London at the time was over-run with feral cats (as a direct result of the Whittingham debacle). So the revelation that "cats guts' was even better was a God send. Both to the municipal authorities at the time and to the players of the ever growing popular sport. As it happens, cat gut needs to remain flexible both prior to stringing and during use so the fat that surrounds the cat's liver was a perfect and convenient lubrication source. From there it was a short step to finding players that wiped their forehead after applying the grease to the strings didn't get sun burnt during play.

Eh Viola.
Good story! Very impressed with your imagination :)

The Book of Shells, @D.A. Xiaolin Spires – An eerie, eldritch communication from beyond the grave leaves its reader shell-shocked.

The Hospice Cat, @Cat's Cradle – A cat is genetically-engineered to provide palliative comfort for the dying. It goes about as well as you’d expect.

It’s Absolute Torture, @TheEndIsNigh – This clever story tells the tale of a rather “bookish” character who has resigned themselves to their fate.

The Book of Enlightenment, @Joshua Jones – An arcane message from the past is finally decoded. At least they’ll have somewhere to put the instructions after they’re finished…

The Book of Shells, @D.A. Xiaolin Spires – An eerie, eldritch communication from beyond the grave leaves its reader shell-shocked.

The Hospice Cat, @Cat's Cradle – A cat is genetically-engineered to provide palliative comfort for the dying. It goes about as well as you’d expect.

It’s Absolute Torture, @TheEndIsNigh – This clever story tells the tale of a rather “bookish” character who has resigned themselves to their fate.

The Book of Enlightenment, @Joshua Jones – An arcane message from the past is finally decoded. At least they’ll have somewhere to put the instructions after they’re finished…
Thanks for the review!

In a break from news in the 75 worder...

Just a reminder that voting in the 300 worder closes tomorrow, just before midnight GMT, which I reckon is something over 36 hours from the time of this post.​
If you took part in the 300 Challenge this quarter, your vote is required! If you've not voted yet, get on and do it!​
If you didn't take part, you can still vote. In fact we'd love you to vote, and will love you for voting!​
And we now return you to the 75s.

Back