The Last Kingdom: Season 3 (spoilers)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Should be on the BBC, which seems to be on a mission to stop stuff I want to watch being on freeview.

*sighs*

How times have changed.

When I were a lad, Defenders of the Earth killed Flash's wife in the first episode. Bucky O'Hare saw a good guy killed in the first episode too.

And don't get me started on The Animals of Farthing Wood.

Anyway. I hope The Last Kingdom migrates back to free-to-air TV, even if just as delayed viewing. I don't watch much on the BBC (The Bridge is, I think, the only series I regularly watched, and that's ended).

I really enjoyed the first two seasons. I think The Vikings is a slightly more professionally made series. But this one has a different style and also very enjoyable. Arguable the Last Kingdom seems more realistic though it is based on a historical fiction novel..

The Last Kingdom has a very pious King of Wessex. Rather different to his equivalent in "Vikings". Though their aims are similar.
Another difference is The Last Kingdom is mainly involving Danes as I recall. While "The Vikings" seems to be Swedes and Norwegians. I think the Vikings in Last Kingdom are actually a wilder lot. Though in "The Vikings" they do like a good one sided massacre.
I particularly like the setting for the King of Cornwall and his throne room in Last Kingdom :D

The Last Kingdom has a very pious King of Wessex. Rather different to his equivalent in "Vikings". Though their aims are similar.
Another difference is The Last Kingdom is mainly involving Danes as I recall. While "The Vikings" seems to be Swedes and Norwegians. I think the Vikings in Last Kingdom are actually a wilder lot. Though in "The Vikings" they do like a good one sided massacre.
I particularly like the setting for the King of Cornwall and his throne room in Last Kingdom :D

They are two different Kings. The one in Vikings is Ecgberth and the King in the Last Kingdom is his grandson Alfred who was known for his piety.

I think The Last Kingdom ison more solid ground than Vikings. Both shows are excellent.

If it doesn't come to BBC you could always read the books. I've just read Book 5 which ought to be half of Season 3. However, Netflix is good value. I watch it more than the BBC now.

Just finished Episode 2 of Season 3. The show has grown in production values, the story is moving along at a breathneck pace. For some reason I really like the characters in this show. Uthtred, Beocca, Hold, Alfred, Financial etc. It is like checking in on some old friends to see what they are up to.

I have also watched the first two episodes. It isn't following the books exactly. I think it has already gone past but its different. I actually thought the part with the Brother Godwin was handled better and more believable in the TV series. Also the whole Skade attraction thing. He is much more afraid of her in the TV series.

I'll probably binge on the rest of the series this week.

Best line of the 3 Seasons so far.

"Lord you cannot simply just execute your subjects as you please. This is the 9th century"

Agreed. (y) I can't remember that from the book either, though I clearly can't remember very much because everything up to season three episode five is in book five.

I have only read the first 3 books so this is all new ground for me. Athelwold has really turned into a nasty piece of work. His actions can no longer be forgiving. He has burned all his bridges.

Just watched the first episode of season 3. Very good! It seems inevitable there is some betrayals coming soon.

They really like bringing out the sexy but dangerous seer/enchantress in this program. Different style to "Vikings" but both are great.

I finished last night. Really like this series but it's a little annoying that they can't stay closer to history.