Books You've Reread the Most Times

Books I’ve apparently read three times, as of July 2019 -- but I'm not sure about a number of them. This is not a complete list. I'm working backwards through my reading log. This goes back as far as the beginning of 2014. See also #37 above.

Anderson, Three Hearts and Three Lions (or maybe 4 times)

Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

Bellairs, The House with a Clock in Its Walls

Blish, Spock Must Die! (not sure this was read 3 times)

Budrys, Who?

Burroughs, The Land That Time Forgot (maybe 3 readings)

----A Fighting Man of Mars (not sure)

Chandler, The Lady in the Lake

Dickens, David Copperfield

Farsiotis, The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios

Garner, Red Shift

Household, Rogue Male

Le Carre, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

Lewis, A Preface to Paradise Lost

Tucker, The Year of the Quiet Sun

Vodolazkin, Laurus

Wilson, The Mind Parasites

---------The Philosopher’s Stone

Wollheim, Secret of the Ninth Planet (not sure this was read 3 times)

Wordsworth, Prelude 1805 version

As far as seriously rereading novels; LOTR and The Hobbit top the list at a dozen, or more and half a dozen times or more, respectively.

Then, maybe, 4 times? The count of Monte Cristo... The Three Musketeers... War of the Worlds... Some Verne, maybe. Moby Dick.

Nearing my 5th decade as an avid reader, I find myself obliged to reread many Classics; which I know I've read, but seem to have forgotten most of the important details.
It's rather embarrassing to find myself discussing a classic book, only to realize that I haven't got but the vaguest clue what it was really all about.

Meanwhile, the books on my shelf which get reread the most are the light fluffy fare. The kind of thing I grab, on the way to bed, after a rough day. When I just need a light chuckle and tune out the day's travails.

Wodehouse, Pratchett, the Sketches of Mark Twain. Anything which makes no critical demands and offers a respite.

I think some Chroners must have some sort of stasis chamber where they do their reading. I can't see how some of those figures can be achieved otherwise ;-)

I rarely re-read a book and so there are only a few I can list - I also have little enough time to read the ones on my TBR shelf. However:

LOTR and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance top the list at around ten times
The Hobbit possibly six
Catcher in the Rye maybe five
It and The Stand (also Christine - I know!) probably three - the Night Watch and Skeleton Crew collections I would say four

There are a few others that I've re-read once and I've not listed those (or plays) I studied at school - way back when - which would count several times.

There are some I would like to read again, but I need to get one of those stasis chambers first...

More books I seem to have read three times:

Jane Austen, Persuasion

--------Sense and Sensibility

Barfield, Poetic Diction

Buchan, Greenmantle

--------The Power-House

--------The Three Hostages

Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Dickens, Bleak House (or 4)

-------Oliver Twist

Doyle, The Poison Belt

--------The Sign of the Four (3 readings?)

--------Study in Scarlet (3 readings?)

Gisli’s Saga

Le Carre, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Leiber, You’re All Alone

Machen, The London Adventure

Morris, Glory in the Cross

Naipaul, The Mystic Masseur (3 readings?)

Tolstoy, The Cossacks (3rd reading?)

Tozer, The Pursuit of God

Undset, The Axe

--------The Wreath

Vance, The Eyes of the Overworld

Walker, Blood and Judgment

Wells, The Time Machine

White, All Judgment Fled

The second list above takes us from 2013 through 2005.

Apologies for my tardiness Ladies and Gents. The last few years I haven't read very much at all so I've been steering clear of the book threads, something I mean to amend soon.

More than 5:
Sharpe's Havoc and Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwell
David Gemmell's Drenai and Rigante series
the Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings
a few of Brian Jaques Redwall series
A Song Of Ice And Fire including Dunk and Eggnovels
Men at Arms, Feet Of Clay and Last Hero by Terry Pratchett

More than 3
This list will be long but here's a few:
Most of Cornwell's Sharpe series and the Saxon Stories
Most of the early Redwall novels
The Watch, The Witches, Rincewind and the Death series of Discworld

And probably a fair few more...

The Lord of the Rings (it's sort of a given)
The Hobbit
The Wheel of Time
- Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
Eragon - Christopher Paolini
The Dark Lord of Derkholm - Diana Wynne Jones
The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett
Silo (series) - Hugh Howey
The Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathon Stroud

The books I find myself re-reading the most are usually the ones that have inspired and surprised me the most.

The book I've read the most times is The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

The audiobook I've listened to the most times is Hexed by Kevin Hearne (2nd novel in the Iron Druid Chronicles).

I'm reviving this thread in case anyone's come on board in the last three years who'd like to comment, or in case any veterans would like to update their postings. Perhaps I'll do that myself here before long. Please note that what is requested at this point is the listing of books you have read at least three times. Thanks.

For many of us here, I'm sure, rereading favorites is one of the great pleasures. This is a place to express that feeling.

Last edited:
The Hobbit - 4 times, including 1 listening on audiobook.

I often find rereading a book is more enjoyable (particularly when the plot is complex), than reading it the first time around. Usually I've forgotten enough to keep it entertaining but there's a sense of familiarity that makes the story more vivid.

I haven't reread any books in a long time because my reading backlog is so long right now. However, I used to reread a lot!

Rereads of at least 4 times:
Mists of Avalon
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Chronicles of Narnia
Dune
The Outsiders
To Kill a Mockingbird
(this one mostly because I had it assigned for summer reading in the fourth grade, sixth grade, eigth grade, and tenth grade. My school system was all about it)
Doomsday Book
Ishmael
Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon
(the original Dragonriders of Pern trilogy)
Harry Potter (I would reread the entire series leading up to the release of the next book)

The Bible
"Fiat Lux," the middle story of A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller)
The Door Into Summer (Heinlein)
The Man Who Folded Himself (Gerrold)
Foundation (Asimov)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (PKD)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (le Carré)
Smiley's People (le Carré)
The City on the Edge of Forever (Ellison)

To Kill a Mockingbird (this one mostly because I had it assigned for summer reading in the fourth grade, sixth grade, eigth grade, and tenth grade. My school system was all about it)

I find this puzzling. What about that story (which is most certainly an all time classic) caused it to be assigned every other year for 8 years?

The Bible
"Fiat Lux," the middle story of A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller)
The Door Into Summer (Heinlein)
The Man Who Folded Himself (Gerrold)
Foundation (Asimov)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (PKD)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (le Carré)
Smiley's People (le Carré)
The City on the Edge of Forever (Ellison)
not a big fan of that one by heinlein, don't particularly like asimov and dick. like le carré. i guess the book i read more times.... might be the count of monte cristo

Off topic, but kind of related. I have a few books that i have read over the last few years that i'd like to reread.

I read Iain M. Banks's "Surface Detail" last year and thought it very good indeed. Probably his best novel. Actually, I'd like to do a complete reread of all of his SF books, but i might leave that as one of my reading goals for 2022.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Dogs of War". Again, i read this after reading a great review here, on the Chrons. I wasn't disappointed and it was a genuinely excellent read. (After reading it, i went back and bought a hardback copy.

I'd also like to reread Neal Asher's "The Technician" and the Transformation trilogy (Dark Intelligence, War Factory and Infinity Engine), Each of them were thoroughly entertaining.

I find this puzzling. What about that story (which is most certainly an all time classic) caused it to be assigned every other year for 8 years?

Where I live, 4th grade is elementary school, sixth and eighth are middle school, and tenth is high school. All different institutions, buildings and administration. I imagine it had something to do with curriculums being different when you 'move up' on the educational ladder to a new institution. Apparently, it just got overlooked from sixth to eighth grade. Although, since it was summer reading, eighth grade could have actually been in preparation for high school?

Where I live, 4th grade is elementary school, sixth and eighth are middle school, and tenth is high school. All different institutions, buildings and administration. I imagine it had something to do with curriculums being different when you 'move up' on the educational ladder to a new institution. Apparently, it just got overlooked from sixth to eighth grade. Although, since it was summer reading, eighth grade could have actually been in preparation for high school?
This makes much more sense. I read your original post assuming that this was all while living under the same school system, and while I might be able to buy reading a book for class two times in a career (although I would guess most students would find it crazy!), four times just seemed beyond the pale.

Here's your invitation now to list books you have read three times (or more, if you haven't already done so). Please note that this thread is open to books outside the genres of sf, fantasy, and horror, though they are admissible too.

Hammett's Red Harvest
Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely
Alexander's The Castle of Llyr and Taran Wanderer
Hamsun's Mysteries
Tutuola's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
Lange's The Silver Island of the Chippewa

Baylor revived a related thread that deals with titles of books less than this thread does. Are there new data from anyone?