Buffy May Rise from the Dead

Everything eventually gets rebooted or remade or reimagined.

Last edited:
Why a reboot? Given how the series ended couldn’t it be a series following another slayer? Or do they feel the name Buffy has more resonance with the public than the term Slayer?
Also stand by for inevitable arguments over skin colour.

Why a reboot? Given how the series ended couldn’t it be a series following another slayer? Or do they feel the name Buffy has more resonance with the public than the term Slayer?
Also stand by for inevitable arguments over skin colour.

Good questions. No answers.
I would hope that they at least give the character a new name, new backstory and a new, non-high school setting.
It might be a battle between show producer innovation and Fox tried-and-true, formulaic programming.

Good questions. No answers.
I would hope that they at least give the character a new name, new backstory and a new, non-high school setting.
It might be a battle between show producer innovation and Fox tried-and-true, formulaic programming.

Instead , we're getting a reimagined classic.

I suspect these reboots are to appeal to Gen Ys and Zs - fair enough if that's what the studios think will create a generous audience share. Those who watched the original don't really have to watch this remake - which is my argument for any reboot: you're not compelled to watch it if you think it will be total pants compared to your version (which could in itself be a reboot)

I wonder if they will take seasons 8-11 into account as they are supposed to be cannon.

I suspect these reboots are to appeal to Gen Ys and Zs - fair enough if that's what the studios think will create a generous audience share. Those who watched the original don't really have to watch this remake - which is my argument for any reboot: you're not compelled to watch it if you think it will be total pants compared to your version (which could in itself be a reboot)

As indeed it was with Buffy, which was a reboot of the 1992 movie in a new continuity (according to Joss Whedon, he considered his original shooting script for the movie to be canon, not the movie itself which was heavily rewritten and moved away from the tone he wanted for it).

A restart not a reboot. That's the way to go.

In Hollywood terms a "reboot" means to resume production of a franchise, usually after a long wait or a naturally-expected pause (the various Batman and James Bond reboots are usually fairly frequent because it's expected of the character that he will be rebooted every few movies). A reboot can be either a remake in a new canon or continuity (as with Battlestar Galactica or the upcoming Charmed) or a continuation of the original story after a long pause (as with Doctor Who, X-Files and Twin Peaks) or some way of combining both (as with the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies).

The situation with Buffy currently appears to be unclear: it may be a new canon with a new Slayer character who may or may not be called "Buffy", or it may be a "Next Generation" kind of story. I don't consider the latter very likely, given the practical issues in getting the actors involved (particularly having to explain why Angel and Spike have clearly aged 15 years since the last time we saw them on screen) and also the fact that such a story would distract from the new Slayer character and might turn off potential new fans who see it as something more of interest to their parents.

The vampires could be dead or gone (trapped in another dimension or some such). None of the old characters need really appear but a cameo would be nice.

I wouldn't even mind if the new girl was named Buffy. More than enough time has passed for her to be named after OG Buffy. One or more of the parents could have been saved by OG Buffy.

I don't think it would distract but rather cement. To me when they acknowledge the past shows it's like saying to the fans, "You didn't waste 7 years watching the show first time around."