Mortal Engines (2018)

Philip Reeve signed my copy of Mortal Engines (and drew a Zepellin in it) at BristoCon. Does that mean it'll be worth something if this film's a hit? :D
a copy of 'moonraker' once went for 50k, so maybe if its a real big success you'll be in luck.

When I first saw a trailer for this I thought Gee, someone must have read James Blish's Cities in Flight! This just seemed a goofy translation. At some future date whole cities take to flight off Earth , out of the solar system, going interstellar by way of some super science with force fields, FTL by way of Spin Dizzy's and other gizmos. Blish handles this somewhat bizare story sophisticated space opera with a lot of verve and nuance. Lord it would make a great TV series. I didn't even know Mortal Engines was a book series. Never read it.

Maybe I can watch the movie. The book got too ridiculous.

Yeah after watching the most recent trailer I got the feeling David Frankland got the idea from James Blish's Cities in Flight first novel printed in 1956.

cities.jpg

Seems OK.

Philip Reeve signed my copy of Mortal Engines (and drew a Zepellin in it) at BristoCon. Does that mean it'll be worth something if this film's a hit? :D

@Mouse,

Surely it has intrinsic value with emotional attachments.

I can't believe you would be interested in filthy cash!

I enjoyed the books. To me they seemed fresh in plot and conception. They were a lot more grim than any other YA I can think of at the time. Very intense.

What the movie will be like, who knows—the screenwriters may have brought in influences from other, older writers—or newer writers for that matter—as well as their own notions of how to "improve" the original, and thereby strayed from the books a lot. Who can say? Trailers can be so deceptive, so can producers when promoting their movies. Guess we'll have to wait until the movie comes out and read some reviews.

For now, going by the trailer it looks like the acting will be less than stellar, but at least the visuals look like they'll be interesting.

Guess we'll have to wait until the movie comes out and read some reviews.

I've read a few newspaper reviews over the past week, and they've all said it looks good with some spectacular action, but with a weak script. And most have trouble accepting the city on tracks idea (as I do, to be fair, even as fantasy).

Wilful suspension of disbelief is something in which I am certainly not lacking. I have not read the books, I have just seen this trailer and it seems to me that I have seen this film dozens of times before

I once met Philip Reeve. Really nice chap. In fact, I was once featured on his blog, as he read Space Captain Smith and enjoyed it. Years later, I was at a station in London and spotted him with Sarah McIntyre, who works with him on some books. I said hello. They were really friendly (once they'd figured out that I wasn't mad).

A Conversation with Toby Frost | The Solitary Bee