Recommending The Green Man's Heir - Juliet McKenna

Montero

Supporter
Juliet McKenna has moved from epic fantasy to what could be called rural fantasy (as in urban fantasy set in the countryside......:))
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BJHXCQW/?tag=brite-21

The Green Man's Heir is first person and inside the head of Daniel McMain who is the son of a dryad and a human. He works as a carpenter and wood carver and has a particular affinity with wood and trees, plus he can see supernatural creatures that others can't. In form this is basically a who-dunnit with the hero trying to work out who - or what - killed a girl up in some woodlands near to where he is renting a house. He was wandering through the woods, looking for bits of deadfall to collect up for making carvings and unfortunately did so on the day the police discovered the girl's body - so bringing him to the police's attention.
Daniel came to the area looking both for work and to see if he could find other dryad's sons as he would like to make contact with other people who are having the kind of experiences he is having.
I like the pace and details of the book - the little snippets of the life of a builder and wood carver, the descriptions of the Peak District in Derbyshire and all the creatures from British mythology, also the little bits on researching such things through the internet and local libraries.

I read it when it in the spring, and re-read it just recently as I wanted a reliable read on a tired day and it re-read very well too.

So recommending it.