Books And Stories that You've Read Once and Could Never Read Again.

The Riddlemaster of Hed was another book I could never re-read because I accidentally placed it inside a washing-machine at a laundrette and it came out in soggy, grey chunks.

The Dancing Floor by John Buchan suffered a similar fate with me.

Also, I'd go with Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake, which I read for completeness, but which actually feels like a weaker add-on to Titus Groan and Gormenghast.

Also, I'd go with Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake, which I read for completeness, but which actually feels like a weaker add-on to Titus Groan and Gormenghast.

Agree - in fact, I'd go further, and say Gormanghast is a weak follow-on to TG, and TA is weaker still. I've read Titus Groan at least a dozen times, Gormenghast twice, and Titus Alone a rather sad 1½ times...

The most painful story I ever read was The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas, by LeGuin. A brilliantly done story about a horrific dilemma. Most genre fiction is stuff I wouldn't go back to a second time, because it's plot-driven, and there's nothing there to get out of it a second time that I didn't get out the first time. The amount of character-driven genre fiction is increasing, but it's a minority. I'm always hoping to find more.

Agree - in fact, I'd go further, and say Gormanghast is a weak follow-on to TG, and TA is weaker still.

I think Gormenghast is inevitably weaker than Titus Groan because it lacks the surprise factor of meeting the castle for the first time. Also, it covers a long period and some of the newer characters - the professors especially - aren't as good as the original lot. But I think it is much better than Titus Alone, which for me barely holds up as a novel (I gather that Peake was very ill when he wrote it, and it had to be put together to a large extent). The other great problem with Titus Alone is simply that Gormenghast Castle and its inhabitants aren't in it at all.

One Flew Overt the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey . I had to read that one for school and I absolutely hated it.
On The Road by Jack Kerouac. What a self indulgent, whingy book. I wish Sal had died in the first chapter.
Both of these are books I proclaimed to love in my 20's that I can now barely remember and, having occasionally flipped through them in a shop, have zero interest in re-reading.

Catch 22 Why? because I loath every single character in that whole novel.
This, on the other hand, is one of my all-time favorites. I think I only know 1-2 other people that liked it, almost everyone else I know that's tried hated it.

Interesting to see the Silmarillion pop up so much. I honestly enjoyed it more than LOTR itself in many ways. It is a pretty unusual book though.

I'll add Catcher in the Rye... talk about a whiner!

I enjoyed Catch-22 30+ years ago; no idea what I'd think of it now. Catcher in the Rye, on the other hand, I still thought was great when I reread it about 10 years ago.

Randy M.

Now I think about it, I don't think I'd want to go back to quite a lot of the classic SF that I read when I was much younger. I enjoyed Clarke and Asimov enormously when I was about 12 (although I could tell that their later stuff was worse), but I would worry that I'd find it rather simplistic now. I'd probably say the same thing about the fantasy I used to like. People like Anne Mccaffrey aren't bad at all, but they are from a different time, and I wanted different things from novels back then.

I enjoyed Catch-22 30+ years ago; no idea what I'd think of it now. Catcher in the Rye, on the other hand, I still thought was great when I reread it about 10 years ago.

Randy M.

In Catch 22 the character that I wanted most to see end up in front of a firing squad was Milo Minderbender. He was by far, the most vile and unredeemable character in that whole book.

The ASOIAF series, by GRRM. Vaguely interesting to read once, but I've never been tempted to re-read them, because of the continual facile shock tactics of killing people off.
Ditto, word-for-word what I first thought of for the same reasons. And also because why would you re-read the first few books again of a series that never finished?

Also, I would say The Ruins, by Scott Smith - this was well paced, exciting and a real page turner. But some of the imagery and suffering of characters in the book seemed gratuitous to me - it was truly horrific, and I don't like to read about agony described so vividly. I certainly wouldn't want to read it again. I don't even like to think about it much to be honest.

Silas Marner by George Elliot I don't know what it is about George Elliot but her writing grates on me. I read this book in High school I did finish it but, reading it was a real tooth pull .

Silas Marner by George Elliot I don't know what it is about George Elliot but her writing grates on me. I read this book in High school I did finish it but, reading it was a real tooth pull .
There's a patch in the middle that does I think drag a bit - I recall struggling with the middle of Silas Marner myself, and probably wont re-read it either.

Back