Scotland to get own spaceport

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
The BBC reports that Highlands & Islands Enterprise is expected to confirm a site in the far north of Scotland will become the UK's first spaceport: Sutherland expected to host spaceport

The A'Mhoine peninsula in Sutherland would be used for vertical rocket and satellite launches.

The site between Tongue and Durness is believed to be the best in the UK for vertical launches into orbit.

Sutherland was in competition with other sites, including Prestwick in Ayrshire, Unst in Shetland and Newquay airport in Cornwall.

It's still a shame that Lossiemouth remains off the list, especially with big transport improvements coming to the road and rail network here.

Still, maybe one day. :)

In the meantime, the location HIE are expected to announce is pretty remote - here's an image of where it is on the map, with a question mark left at Lossiemouth - just in case. :)

scotland-space-port.png

I hope the staff uniforms are modelled on the original series of Star Trek.

We should build many space ports.

And there's me thinking the closer to the equator, the more energy you could pull out of the Earth's rotation, so the easier and more energy efficient the transfer can be.

And there's me thinking the closer to the equator, the more energy you could pull out of the Earth's rotation, so the easier and more energy efficient the transfer can be.
I believe they are saying that with modern systems getting more efficient and lighter it's not as important any longer. Must admit I immediately thought the same thing.

What strikes me is that the road access to that area is appalling and simply could not take any significant increase, especially of significant large lorry loads and there are no railway lines or airports anywhere near. The only way I could see this as being practical would be to plan on using sea access for all significant construction and rocket materials.

What strikes me is that the road access to that area is appalling and simply could not take any significant increase, especially of significant large lorry loads and there are no railway lines or airports anywhere near. The only way I could see this as being practical would be to plan on using sea access for all significant construction and rocket materials.

I noticed that as well - at least with Lossiemouth there was the possibility of a newly dualled A9 and A96 by the time any spaceport opened.

Not to play on stereotypes but won't weather be a problem? High winds are a pretty common, if somewhat seasonal, occurence. And how do modern rockets fare with freezing temperatures?

Though I can't wait to hear bagpipes in space. That'll blow Tim Peake's guitar-strumming-predictably-Bowie video out of the sky.

I posted a couple of questions on Quora about building a space port in the U.K. and the space industry’s contribution to the UK’s economy. Sadly the answers showed just how little the general public know about the Space industry in the U.K. All the answers appeared to think a space port meant some sort of Dan Dare fantasy and had no actual knowledge of the British satellite industry.

Bagpipes on Earth are bad enough...

That said, we should have more space ports. I just hope space can stay neutral. The Chinese may well try and use it to technologically leapfrog the huge advantage the US has with conventional forces.

I lived in Scotland until I was 16. I might have been tempted to stay if I'd known a space port was on the horizon.

Played bagpipes, went to pipe camp, marched on the streets of Moose Jaw. Played The Black Bear a lot, started smoking at pipe camp.
One night my pipes escaped, never to be seen again.

A rocket design company and the headquarters have opened in Forres - quite an exciting time to be studying mechanics in Moray ;) I'm going to send a CV in. See if I can't get some work experience. I'm hoping a driving licence isn't a requirement, and it might help supplement the engineering course (the years 3&4 have really improved)

Firm behind Sutherland spaceport to open base in Moray | Press and Journal

Last edited: