Grey Sister; Mark Lawrence ( may contain spoilers)

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Mark Lawrence is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors.

Grey Sister picks up 2 years on from Red Sister.
Nona is around 15 and has moved up to Mystic Class, fresh challenges, old and new enemies await her.
During an inquisition visit she breaks the rules and is sentenced to death.
Abbess Glass facing her own trials is unable to reverse the sentence. Sister Kettle urges Nona too flee before they come for her. In the outside world Nona, alone and hunted searches for answers.
15315649976951261147421.jpg

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think I've got different tastes from everyone else :D

Finished this today, yes it has it problems, a little far fetched at times, Nona, Ara, Zola and Kettle are far too powerful but overall an excellent read, fast paced and unput downable at times.

I thought Abbess Glass had a plan, though I did think she had bitten off more than she could chew and it was going to bite her but she had been playing the long game for years.

Ok majority of books set in similar settings can be compared.
Abbess Glass, some might say she is a female version of Dumbledore but who is he based on, Gandalf? Merlin ?

It's been said Erikson took his ideas from Glenn Cook, I can see the influence but he's taking it and made it something more.
Dissect any book, you will find similarities with others.

Majority of fantasy has borrowed from history and mythology.

Think it was Clive Barker who said there are no new tales just extensions of the original.

Just finished this trilogy and I liked it a lot. Gonna grab some more Mark Lawrence after this. Zole and Nona seemed a little over-powered in the end, but I liked the story and characters.