Garum sauce

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
This isn't particularly ground-breaking, but the channel - Invicta - has been doing some very good 'everyday' episodes of Roman life. For example a look at the Roman armies supply chain and logistics, what legionaries ate and other nice topics, rather than the usual BATTLE 'X' and military campaign stuff (there's that stuff there too, of course!). So just a recommend to those that are interested.

A nice introduction to it, though as you say not ground-breaking or particularly insightful.

I've always wondered about garum. I've heard it described as stomach-churning, but even allowing for differences in taste I couldn't square its being so popular if it smelled and tasted so foul.

A nice introduction to it, though as you say not ground-breaking or particularly insightful.

I've always wondered about garum. I've heard it described as stomach-churning, but even allowing for differences in taste I couldn't square its being so popular if it smelled and tasted so foul.

I've used Thai fish sauce a fair bit - or whatever the supermarkets call the stuff in those bottles - for a while, so in my mind that's what I imagine it must be close to. It's pretty pungent and strong. But I get the niggling feeling, like yourself TJ, that the original garum was somehow even more extreme.

Then again, Worchester sauce is really nice and it's really just the same sort of thing.

People have loved all sorts of nasty foul things. The whole hanging birds out until they get good an gamey makes me queasy but they did it. Makes me think of Shogun when the hanging duck smelled so bad that the servant cut the bird down and threw it away then killed himself for touching the masters foul.

I've used Thai fish sauce a fair bit - or whatever the supermarkets call the stuff in those bottles - for a while, so in my mind that's what I imagine it must be close to. It's pretty pungent and strong. But I get the niggling feeling, like yourself TJ, that the original garum was somehow even more extreme.

Then again, Worchester sauce is really nice and it's really just the same sort of thing.

You could make Fish Sauce a lot more extreme and I'd still use it.

Also, humans are weird, as pointed out. So little compares to the smell of Durian, yet its still incredibly popular in places...

I tend to buy fish sauce in 75cl bottles from a Chinese store in Milton Keynes But have also seen the same Thai brand in ASDA in the world food section. It goes in everything, lasagna, scrambled egg what ever a splash of Nam Pla works wonders.

Back