>

"Space Things" -- Isaac Asimov short story?

In 1975 I found a book with an Isaac Asimov story about a robot spacecraft sent from earth to fight "space things". On the return trip the spacecraft pass through a time portal that send it to earth 300 years(?) before it left. The spacecraft has a thinking computer that runs things and a calculating computer that navigates etc. It returns to earth sometime in the 1960's as it mentions picking up Walter Cronkite on the new. It is a very entertaining story as the robot tries to understand what has happened to the earth it left. Would any one know the name of this story? and where I can find a copy?

Yeah, I'm not claiming I could ID every Asimov story (though I ought to be able to) but I don't think that's Asimov. It's quite possible it's from an anthology he edited or presented, though. It might help to contact a mod and ask them to move this to the general "story search" forum with a different title.

dannymcg

Not so well known member
For some reason I read the story details and thought " Not Asimov, that's R. A.Lafferty"
Only trouble is I can't find it in my Lafferty stories so I must have it wrong.

Dammit!