Star Trek: Discovery - Revisiting Season One

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
I've just watched Season One a second time.

Knowing now how it all turned out. I can appreciate how very we'll planned/written this season was! Absolutely excellent! I now understand a nagging "why that perplexed me: "Why, except for a role necessity. did Lorca ever decide to add Michael to the crew? It made no contextual sense at the time.
Knowing now that he had been her father-figure and later lover, it is obvious why.

There are similar questions answered, and lots of clues I can now see! I love a well-written season, and hope the series continues the good work!

Anyone else watched the season a second time?

Attachments

• star-trek-discovery.png
    star-trek-discovery.png
    416 KB · Views: 248
I've usually watched a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd time every episode when they gave us the first season. I'm ready to bet they will give us a week-end marathon, just before the 2nd season, so I may watch them again. :)

I did the same thing. Watched the first time, then watched again after 'knowing' all the things - and several times found myself all 'Oh Lorca, you sneaky little so-and-so!'

Jason Isaacs did a great job keeping the secret for like 6 months, or however long it was - since he knew from the beginning.

I did the rewatch a couple of weeks ago. After the first 2 episodes it was a fine season. Lorca was a good bad guy. I thought Lorca was a good, good guy while it lasted. It backed up my general rule that bad guys pretending to be good guys are better good guys than the real good guys. Until they're evil again.

I do wish that when Lorca flipped his switch he should have used gentler way with Michael. He knew how she would react and should have used prettier words. Things she wanted to hear. Oh well.

I like Jason Isaacs and hope they can work him back in sometime, some way.

In science fiction , everyone everyone eventually comes back. Just ask Mr Spock. They will bring him back because ther are lots of parallel dimensions each with its own Lorca. :)

Last edited:
everyone everyone eventually comes back.

With all rules there are exceptions. Like the original Captain Marvel (Mar Vell) from Marvel comics. They've done a few time loopy things to use him in a issue a couple times but in general he does a good job of staying dead.

Just finished the first season. Two thumbs up.
I found the characters and action be more hard-edged than their Star Trek series forebearers. I liked the new, improved, bad-ass Klingons.
Season two could benefit by softening the focus on Burnham. I look forward to adding the second season to my disc collection and watching it -- in a year or so.
The season final scene me reminded me of the original Star Wars film ending – everyone getting their medals to the thunderous applause of their peers. If they had included a little recognition for L’Rell, she could have echoed Chewbacca’s appreciative roar.

Back