(Found) Computer error puts large sums of money in bank books

Scifijay

Looking for title of short story or chapter from science fiction book I read in the early 70’s. A group of men are at lunch, and one or more members of the group has something to share about his bank account. It appears that a computer error has made these guys rich. One member of the group has thoughts about machines taking over from humanity. After a short discussion, the lights blink on and off, then stay off for good. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

This reminds me of an Asimov short story I read on that theme. Trouble is, that doesn't narrow it down much and might not even be the right story! Hmmm... give me a few minutes....

Oh, well, no go. I had a feeling it was in 'Nine Tomorrows', but it doesn't seem to be. Any Asimov fans think the OP's story description rings a bell? Or am I on the wrong track in the first place?

Ooops, wrong track; the one I was thinking of is Arthur C. Clarke. 'Dial F for Frankenstein'. I guess I must have read it in a compilation. Anyway, more to the point, is that the one you were thinking of?

Nancy,

Thank you, I will check it out. To add more to my description above, it was a short story I read in a Science Fiction class in high school. Thought it could be Clarke, Asimov or Bradbury. Since I have read almost everything Bradbury, must be on of the other two. Will let you know.

Nancy, you are correct; Dial F for Frankenstein by Arthur C Clarke. This short story can be found in the Clarke collection, The Wind from the Sun, and was originally featured in a magazine. Eleven nines were added to a bank account, in British Pounds. £999,999,897.87 to be exact. I only count seven nines, however. Thanks again Nancy.