Land of the Lost (2009)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I can't find a thread for this, except a critique of it no one liked much for the grammatical mistakes: Land of the lost

So... a dishonoured scientist is encouraged by a research assistant to complete his work on time dimensional shifting. They are sucked into vortex along with a amusement ride operator, where they meet a monkey man in a world of dinosaurs, lizard men and scrap items brought from every age. They attempt to foil a plot to invade Earth and to return back home

I just watched it on Netflix, as I'm out of new TV episodes to watch. I hadn't realised it was so old. I didn't expect much, but then why would you?

What can I say about it? It isn't very cerebral, but it does have Will Ferrell and Anna Friel. I have certainly watched worse comedies!

I've never heard of the 1974 TV series that it is loosely based upon, or is it just spoofed? I don't think it could have ever made its way to the UK. I've never seen it myself.

This is totally absurd and full of science fiction tropes. If you like that, then you will love it. There is some toilet humour, but it isn't for children, as there is also sexual innuendo and drug references. There are some genuinely funny gags too, though I didn't laugh out loud.

The tv series rand for 3 seasons, It was produced by Sid and Marty Croft and it was unlike atheist other fare a serious adventure and has some pretty excellent writing and acting , The special had stop motion din which looked pretty prehistorically dated by todays standards and a certain level of suspension of disbelief is required It now has a certain camp factor . For its time overall concept of the show was most impressive and came up some interesting story concepts. The 2009 film by comparison is a travesty. the producers of this film made an extremely. poor decision by making it a comedy.

Well, I'm quite sure this film would never have worked as a serious drama - even in 1974 its central idea must have been camp and retro - a kind of updated Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" - but I know you appreciate these old TV shows, whereas I always thought the original "Lost in Space" was dated too. The Irwin Allen shows were too, though I did like those.

It does make you wonder why they decided to make this film at all though, if they were only going to make fun of it (especially as many will never have seen the original?) The film is really only an excuse for Will Ferrell to play one of his unusual characters and there must be plenty of opportunities for that where you don't need to suspend disbelief quite as much.

Coincidentally, I also watched this recently. I was bored for most of the film. The human/chimp character was ridiculously unbelievable. I may have laughed out loud once.

Coincidentally, I also watched this recently. I was bored for most of the film. The human/chimp character was ridiculously unbelievable. I may have laughed out loud once.

I suggest finding the tv series , The one made in 1970's . There was a 1990 reboot of the series and though it had better production and special effects , the show was lousy.

My kids, who are now in the late forties, watched Land of The Lost on TV religiously every Saturday morning. We made jokes of a lot of it. When Chakka, the little guy in the hairy costume wanted a meal, he would say "Eetah!" It got to where that's what we would say when we were hungry.

My kids, who are now in the late forties, watched Land of The Lost on TV religiously every Saturday morning. We made jokes of a lot of it. When Chakka, the little guy in the hairy costume wanted a meal, he would say "Eetah!" It got to where that's what we would say when we were hungry.

Back in the 70's , it was a favorite show of mine, If effects even by te stars of the day were antiquated but overall, it was a fun show to watch. It was one the few shows on satruaday morning which didn't insult the intelligence of its viewers. It ran for three season which for the type of show it was, was a decent run.:cool:

I LIKED THE 70s version much better maybe if they kept it psychedelic like the tv series and involved the pylons.

I LIKED THE 70s version much better maybe if they kept it psychedelic like the tv series and involved the pylons.

The film took everything good in the series and chucked it out and give us this stupid comedy film.

It was beyound stupid like the chips film was beyond stupid .

Well, I'm quite sure this film would never have worked as a serious drama - even in 1974 its central idea must have been camp and retro - a kind of updated Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" - but I know you appreciate these old TV shows, whereas I always thought the original "Lost in Space" was dated too. The Irwin Allen shows were too, though I did like those.

It does make you wonder why they decided to make this film at all though, if they were only going to make fun of it (especially as many will never have seen the original?) The film is really only an excuse for Will Ferrell to play one of his unusual characters and there must be plenty of opportunities for that where you don't need to suspend disbelief quite as much.

They could have very easily made it into a strait up Indiana Jones/ Lost world adventure film. I would have had Will Farrell play the role straight and not comedic. Will Farrell could do it easily because he is a very good actor.

They could have very easily made it into a strait up Indiana Jones/ Lost world adventure film. I would have had Will Farrell play the role straight and not comedic. Will Farrell could do it easily because he is a very good actor.
I don't know about that. In all the Will Farrell films that I've seen, Will Farrell plays Will Farrell again (and I'd include Buddy the Elf in that, even though it is a classic.) However, I've not seen him play any straight roles, so maybe he can do them very well.

One other problem with this (and my memory of it is fading fast) was the "ape" fellow. There is no way for him to be done seriously, and he did get a lot of time in the film to basically ape around.

I don't know about that. In all the Will Farrell films that I've seen, Will Farrell plays Will Farrell again (and I'd include Buddy the Elf in that, even though it is a classic.) However, I've not seen him play any straight roles, so maybe he can do them very well.

One other problem with this (and my memory of it is fading fast) was the "ape" fellow. There is no way for him to be done seriously, and he did get a lot of time in the film to basically ape around.

Ive seen comedic actors do well in strait dramatic roles

Martin Short and Chevy Chase both did gies spots on Law and order an they were both superb in the parts they played.