Discussion thread -- July 2018 75-word Writing Challenge

Cool choices, Ashleyne! Open genre should encourage some really interesting work, and 'twist' is a terrific theme...should be a blast, CC

Judging from the above comments, it looks like we are going to have a bunch of stories about dancing and fishing in the 50's and 60's... I guess in a flying saucer to add in the speculative element? ;)

I guess in a flying saucer to add in the speculative element? ;)
Since the genre is open, no need for any kind of speculative element, of course, unless someone wants to put one in.

In case any newcomers are wondering, "open" is exactly what is seems. Choose any genre you want -- noir, romance, detective, murder mystery, weird, western, weird western, fairy tale, SFF, etc etc, even -- gawd help us -- Tudorpunk. The world of writing is your lobster!

And as far as "Twist" is concerned, for some of us it might be enough simply to have a twist-in-the-tail story, but when it comes to voting some members might require more for the twist to constitute a theme. As always, when it comes to nit-picking voters, caveat scriptor!

Since the genre is open, no need for any kind of speculative element, of course, unless someone wants to put one in.

In case any newcomers are wondering, "open" is exactly what is seems. Choose any genre you want -- noir, romance, detective, murder mystery, weird, western, weird western, fairy tale, SFF, etc etc, even -- gawd help us -- Tudorpunk. The world of writing is your lobster!

And as far as "Twist" is concerned, for some of us it might be enough simply to have a twist-in-the-tail story, but when it comes to voting some members might require more for the twist to constitute a theme. As always, when it comes to nit-picking voters, caveat scriptor!
Fair enough; although, I can almost see the 50's back and white advert now of flying saucers coming down and starting a dance party...

Come on let's twist again, like in the last saucer,
Let's twist again, for a hundred light years;
Do you remember, the hyperdrive really hummin'
Yeah, let's twist again, 'cause the bug-eyed men are here...

No, this is not my submission.

Come on let's twist again, like in the last saucer,
Let's twist again, for a hundred light years;
Do you remember, the hyperdrive really hummin'
Yeah, let's twist again, 'cause the bug-eyed men are here...

No, this is not my submission.
C'mon green men,
Let's do the twist.

Yep, we had a challenge where the genre was "Tudor Punk." The best I can describe it was a "punk style" story set in the age of the Tudor dynasty in golly ole England. To say it was hard to to understate by at least half.

Yep, we had a challenge where the genre was "Tudor Punk." The best I can describe it was a "punk style" story set in the age of the Tudor dynasty in golly ole England. To say it was hard to to understate by at least half.
Then, there was "In the style of Kipling"...

Okay, I'm in. It was fun to write one that didn't have my usual (lately, it seems) bleakness. Who's next?? :)