July 2018: Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a binge on classic children's fantasy. I've read Alan Garner's The Moon of Gomrath, and the third and fourth books of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, The Castle of Llyr and Taran Wanderer. I'm now on the fifth and final book, The High King.

I'm having a read of a dystopian YA book currently.
The Death House by Sarah Pinborough.
I'm finding it very dark and disturbing, tbh I'm not sure if I want to read this to the (no doubt horrific) end as it will probably be thereafter haunting my dreams

I’ve now finished C.S.Lewis’ “Out of the Silent Planet” and “Voyage to Venus”. Surprisingly good for 1938 and 1943. I really enjoyed the descriptions of landscape and fauna on both Mars and Venus, to the extent that on a couple of nights I went to sleep imagining I was being carried along on one of the Venusian floating islands. I last read these more than fifty years ago. My reason for reading was purely because some say that the main character is based on Lewis’s colleague, Tolkien, and I hoped to gain some insights (largely unsuccessful in this). Of the two books, the first was a much easier read, while the increasingly complex Christian imagery in the second took me significantly longer.

It's interesting to reflect that Lewis's Perelandra and Tolkien's unfinished Notion Club Papers deal as much as they do with the concept of time. The Lewis novel, among other things, dwells on the theme of "innocence to experience" -- which, for us, involves loss ("Where is it now, the glory and the dream?" etc), but for the Lady of Venus, need not involve loss -- i.e. she gains experience without actually losing her innocence, in the sense that her mind, unclouded by our ignoble passions, learns very swiftly and well, and she learns from experience, but not at the cost of the good things of childhood, its capacity for wonder and delight, etc. The Tolkien work also deals with time and the idea (from J. W. Dunne's Experiment with Time) that dreams contain elements not only of what for us is past but what for us is future. These books are more learned than, I think, people often realize; they are fantasy adventures but also have elements, especially Lewis's, of high philosophical activity.

It's interesting to reflect that Lewis's Perelandra and Tolkien's unfinished Notion Club Papers deal as much as they do with the concept of time. The Lewis novel, among other things, dwells on the theme of "innocence to experience" -- which, for us, involves loss ("Where is it now, the glory and the dream?" etc), but for the Lady of Venus, need not involve loss -- i.e. she gains experience without actually losing her innocence, in the sense that her mind, unclouded by our ignoble passions, learns very swiftly and well, and she learns from experience, but not at the cost of the good things of childhood, its capacity for wonder and delight, etc. The Tolkien work also deals with time and the idea (from J. W. Dunne's Experiment with Time) that dreams contain elements not only of what for us is past but what for us is future. These books are more learned than, I think, people often realize; they are fantasy adventures but also have elements, especially Lewis's, of high philosophical activity.

I'm looking forward to the Notion Club Papers. I only heard of them within the last two or three months.

After going through all of Judith Merril's anthologies, I am taking a break from SF and going through all the books that my better half, who is more into nonfiction than I, has recommended that I read. Up first is John Gunther's classic Inside U. S. A. (1947; I have the 50th anniversary edition.)

Info about this nearly one thousand page tome here:

Inside U.S.A. (book) - Wikipedia

Let me add that I expected to skip through some of Inside U.S.A., because I thought it would be something of a reference book; not to be read entirely, but dipped into here and there. Boy, was I wrong. It's endlessly fascinating, and written in a lively style. It would be the perfect volume for anybody writing an historical novel set in post-WWII America. Many lines are eminently quotable, and often seem prescient. Here's one, talking about two now-forgotten potential Republican candidates for the 1948 Presidential election, intellectual Robert Taft (son of President Taft) and non-intellectual John Bricker.

. . . so strange a country is the United States, the very circumstance that Bricker is less intelligent than Taft, together with the fact that he is far more "human," may make him a better presidential candidate.

Getting towards the final quarter of the final book in Mark Lawrence's Red Queen's War Trilogy - The Wheel of Osheim
I've really enjoyed reading this series, it's been dark, gritty and at times has made me laugh out loud. Mark Lawrence has become one of my favourite authors.

I just tried to re-read The Legacy of Heorot by Niven, Pournelle and Barnes, which I remembered as perhaps a little heavy going at times but with some superb biology and ecology. Just given up quite near the beginning because all the human characters are such twerps. A bunch of science trained colonists with a military guy for security all sorts of testosterone powered sniping going on - colonists accusing military man of seeing problems where there are none because he doesn't have enough to do. The best behaved of the adults are the ones who received brain damage during cryo sleep on the long journey on the colony ship. Ho hum. Written in 1987, not aged well.

I recently reread that one as well its a good read but sadly that's it

Finished Heretics of Dune, where whores from outer space threaten humanity with orgasmic amplification - but, luckily for the Bene Gessirit they have created a man irresistible to women who can turn the ecstasy of vaginal pulsation against the user.

Seriously. It's all there in the book - though luckily it's mostly just talked about rather than described.

Actually, there's a lot of talking in this book. A lot of talking.

And there's hundreds of pages about a couple of people trying to meet up to escape a planet, with lots of wandering, conversations, and descriptions - only for the last chapter to suddenly announce that, yes indeed they had met up and escaped, the end.

Children and God Emperor had their moments, but I suspect Chapter House Dune will continue to be a car crash in very slow motion.

Foxbat, I've read "Carmilla" a number of times and always enjoyed it. I hope you do, too.

Tangentially, if you haven't done so and get a chance and can find it, you might also read Stoker's "Dracula's Guest," a deleted chapter in the original novel that was later published separately.

Randy M.

Finished Stephen Clarke's Paris Revealed - The Secret Life of a City. Very informative - historical and contemporary, and hilarious.

Now move to the more substantial The Parisian World of Frederic Chopin by William C Artwood. The book covers one of the Paris artistic periods: 1830 - 1848, between two revolutions, while many great musicians, writers, artists made Paris the true City of Light.

Finished Liberty Bar by Georges Simenon. This is one of his Maigret novels and like the 2 or 3 others I've read it was entertaining enough but didn't strike a spark in me to grab another. Next time I have an urge to read Simenon, I'll try something outside the series.

Read a few stories in Thieves' Dozen by Donald E. Westlake, a collection featuring his hapless crook, Dortmunder. Fun and funny, but before I wear out on it I'm returning to M. Rickert's Map of Dreams.

Randy M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back