Harlan Ellison, 1934-2018

In my case, I can reread all of stuff with no issues . What I liked most about his stories is they made for uncomfortable reading , they made you think about things . Make the reader think and I think that I can safely assume that was one of his motivations for writing. He was teacher and that was how he taught. I learned a great deal from reading his stories,introductions and essays. Harlan Ellison was one writer that im glad I discovered.

The intro in Dangerous Vision with him and Asimov still cracks me up every time I read it . He Played gotcha on Asimove and Asimov nailed him with his own gothic the next day . They ended up becoming very good friends.

As ever, you excel at deftly offering another perspective. :D

Here is evidence that John Scalzi is rather cool. Not as much as Harlan Ellison but still able to qualify. LOL

John Scalzi on the famously curmudgeonly and irascible Harlan Ellison
Los Angeles Times - We are currently unavailable in your region

Harlan would occasionally call me up late at night just to yell at me.

What did I do to deserve a yelling at from the famously curmudgeonly and irascible Harlan Ellison? Well, from 2010 to 2013, I was the president of SFWA, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, an organization to which Harlan belonged and which made him one of its Grand Masters in 2006. Harlan believed that as a Grand Master I was obliged to take his call whenever he felt like calling, which was usually late in the evening, as I was Eastern time and he was on Pacific time. So some time between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m., the phone would ring, and “It’s Harlan” would rumble across the wires, and then for the next 30 or so minutes,
:lol:
I will note that no other SFWA Grand Masters, of which Joe Haldeman, Robert Silverberg and Connie Willis are still very thankfully among the living, ever called me at home, much less at an hour when I would already be in bed, and possibly asleep.

And the thing was, he wasn’t wrong about that. As SFWA president, I wouldn’t have begrudged any Grand Master a phone call — that seemed a reasonable perk, although I would have preferred office hours — but as me, John Scalzi, writer of science fiction, well. It was a kick to get the Harlan Ellison live show, even through the telephone.
:cool:

liked the solider witten by harison for outer limits and star treks city on the edge of forever.