Help-title search for Book featuring a Lovecraftian underground

JedZepoelin

• Pulp paperback
  • Read as a child possibly late 70's most likely early to mid 80's.
  • From what I remember, a small group, possibly only one character, enter a hell like dimension via a hole or passageway in the ground. The only details that stick out are that this was an extremely dangerous place, and I believe that early on they come across the body, perhaps skeleton, if what must have been an extremely large bipedal creature. It could be that some other creatures were harvesting its bones for some purpose, but I could be confusing this with another novel.
  • I believe at the end of the book another large giant had perhaps escaped or somehow rise.n out of this underworld. I seem to remember either a hammer, or anvil being held by this giant. I think regardless it was some sort of signaling device.
  • I want to see it had a picture of this giant, but, my memory could be filling in gaps.
  • Adult in fairly certain.
  • I don't think it's any of The Dungeon series, I felt it was a stand alone book. Though, a synopsis of that series seems to have similar elements.

My first thought was that it might be Basil Copper's The Great White Space (1974); the time period is about right, as is the storyline in general. That being said, there were no giants, as such; nor hammers; nor anvils. So I'm probably wrong about this.

I don't believe the book i read was set in the real world, at least not a contemporary one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This sounds a bit like Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman . It has a very complex, yet antiquated society that lives underneath London, and it features a small group of people on a quest to get a normal Londoner back home.

This sounds a bit like Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman . It has a very complex, yet antiquated society that lives underneath London, and it features a small group of people on a quest to get a normal Londoner back home.
Er, timeframe is totally wrong for Neverwhere ...

Sounds like (The Mound) but there where no giants.(Out of the aeons) was underground to but no giants.might be (The Shadow Out of Time) there's 20ft things called the yiths but there not violent.also check Richard shavers (I Remember Lumuria)he wrote a lot about underground races .hope this helps

Back