Lois McMaster Bujold: Miles Vorkosigan novels reading order

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've started reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series, but apparently the publication order and chronological order are different - so I'll list the reading order of the main novels below:

1. Shards of Honor (1986)
2. Barrayar (1991)
3. The Warrior's Apprentice (1986)
4. The Vor Game (1990)
5. Cetaganda (1995)
6. Brothers in Arms (1989)
7. Mirror Dance (1994)
8. Memory (1996)
9. Komarr (1998)
10. A Civil Campaign (1999)
11. Diplomatic Immunity (1999)
12. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (2012)
13. Cryoburn (2010)
14. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen (2016)

There is also the novel Falling Free, which appears to be set around 200 years before Shards of Honor and doesn't include the characters or settings, so I've left that out - as well as Ethan of Andros, which is a side story involving a couple of minor characters from the series and set after Cetaganda.

I've specifically not included the omnibus editions, which collect together some of the earlier novels into single volumes, as these don't normally appear available in the UK.

There also seems to be a number of short stories/novellas that are set in the same universe, but don't necessarily include the characters directly or involve the main plot developments and can therefore be overlooked without apparently missing anything significant, which I've numbered below according to the novels:

3.1 The Mountains of Mourning (1989)
3.2 Weatherman (1990)
5.1 Labyrinth (1989)
5.2 The Borders of Infinity (1987)
10.1 Winterfair Gifts (2002)
13.1 Flowers of Vashnoi (2018)

If any of the above needs correcting, let me know below. :)

I would definitely not overlook The Mountains of Mourning, as it is a pivotal thing in the youth of Miles, and also plays a part later on when he revisits the area and the lessons learned there. But if you have the (American?) set, it's part of the Young Miles book along with The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game.

It's also not a bad idea to start with The Warrior's Apprentice (or the Young Miles book that starts with that) and revisit Shards of Honor and Barrayar (the book Cordelia's Honor) after getting a feel for Miles. Those two are about his parents and how he came to be as he is.

I would definitely not overlook The Mountains of Mourning, as it is a pivotal thing in the youth of Miles, and also plays a part later on when he revisits the area and the lessons learned there. But if you have the (American?) set, it's part of the Young Miles book along with The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game.

I agree, I think The Mountains of Mourning is up there with the best Vorkosigan stories. I thought Borders of Infinity was good as well.

If I remember correctly, The Weatherman is just the first section of The Vor Game.

I agree with Dusty and William - Mountains if Mourning is very important - as is Borders of Infinity. Labyrinth sets up events at Jackson’s Whole and also important.

I got to ask Bujold how integral the shorts were to the universe recently (fan girl squee) and it was confirmed: very integral.