12 Monkeys: 4.05: After

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
To be honest, after the 3rd Season, I didn't think this series had much life left in it. However, the first three episodes of the 4th Season turned it around again, to give hope that the end of the world is not a foregone conclusion. And this episode set in 1966 looked like it would be a lot of fun. And it is a lot of fun, and it brings back three old characters that were meant to have died. Only I've read that it is the best episode yet, and this from Den of Geek:
Once again, 12 Monkeys hearkens back to what made its first season so great for those of us who enjoy brain-melting time travel, and that’s its causal loops, in which everything you do in the past has already happened.

But, seriously is it really that good an episode. What we have here is Groundhog Day meets Back to the Future 2 with Indiana Jones and the Ark of the Covenant. It is an episode filled with clichés and time travel tropes. There is nothing original, and Gale surviving with the help of a bullet proof vest??? My suspension of disbelief monitor just went off the scale.

This season is certainly better than the 3rd, but I'd much rather be watching more Timeless. Unfortunately, that's cancelled yet again but 12 Monkeys can apparently do no wrong?

Back