The Signatures help thread

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I figured it might be good to have a dedicated thread for help with the new signatures.

The first point apologies for stating that images should be no more than 10 pixels high - I meant 100. :)

Also, if our published writers want to put a link to Amazon behind a book cover image, you are welcome to - for example, to the book publisher listing, a page on your blog, or an Amazon listing.

DISCLAIMER: I have a system set up so that normal Amazon links automatically have my affiliate ID added. It doesn't bring in much money at all, but I figure every penny counts.

HOWEVER, as most of our authors will probably want to link to multiple Amazon sites with a single book cover link, my suggestion is do something like this:

Go to: A-FWD: GeoIP-Targeting for creating global Amazon Links

and enter the Amazon URLs where you want people to be redirected to your book. Amazon.com, .co.uk, .ca, .fr and .com.au might be good ones to add.

THEN put that link through a URL shortener - if you have a Google account they provide one for free at Google URL Shortener

Alternatively, you can use a service such as bitly.com or similar, which has paid for plans.

The result - for me - is this: Gathering (Chronicles of Empire Book 1) eBook: Turner, Brian G: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

So if I add that link to an image of my cover in my signature, it should send any visitors to the relevant Amazon store.

See if that helps. :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• knife-edge.jpg
    knife-edge.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 68,470
Last edited:
I've uploaded one for myself - looks like you need to upload an image to the web to attach, though. However, rather than third-parting hosting, Supporters would be welcome to post below and attach their image - then right click for the URL, then use that to insert the image in your Signature preferences.

To then add a link, simply highlight the image that should now have uploaded, and use the link symbol in the rich text editor - ie, the formatting symbols above the text in the text reply area - and insert the link of your choice. :)

Anyone looking to use a signature, but would like help with it?

Also, does anyone feel the signature limits are a little mean?

I'm happy to take advice and help. :)

I think no one's using one yet - hence why I offered to help.

I tried it out myself, and it seemed to work fine. I'd like to see at least some Supporters using them. :)

I'm going to try uploading pics to my sig in a moment. :)

Btw, in the original post I suggested that images shouldn't be more than 100px, but now I'm thinking it might be better if they are 200px - that's the size Amazon uses.

Also, if you need resized covers:
heartblade-200.jpg
night-blade-200.jpg

which looks better at 200 than the 100 pixel size below:

heartblade-100.jpg

To use these in your signature, right click an image and save image address - go to your signature box and paste in there.

Also:

gathering-150.jpg

Once done, highlight an image to put a link in it, if required.

signature-100.jpg

Last edited:
I actually like the 100 size better - it's more discreet. I think a lot of forums with sigs use the smaller size?

Yeah, I'm not sure what I did. I thought I'd resized to 100 pixels but the ones I posted above are far too big!!

I actually like the 100 size better - it's more discreet. I think a lot of forums with sigs use the smaller size?

Yeah, I'm not sure what I did. I thought I'd resized to 100 pixels but the ones I posted above are far too big!!

No worries - here's the Night Blade 100px high if required:

night-blade-100.jpg

100px... does look small to me, though.