With which publications does my work fit?

Cory Swanson

Like most folks, I want to build my list of bona fides before I try to sell my books to agents/publishers. Trouble is, I can’t seem to figure out where my work fits.

Everything I do is definitely speculative, but not heavily genre driven. Here’s some descriptions of stories I’m trying to sell.

Story one: about an orchestra conductor that has learned how to control the minds of the orchestra so the performances can be perfect.

Story two: about a man who can hear a mountain talking to him in the whistles of the wind in a cave and it warns him of impending doom.

Story three: about a group of graffiti artists who gain superpowers from being exposed to the fumes of a specific kind of spray paint.

Story four: about a painter who paints with a liquid essence that seeps from his body and how his lover becomes addicted to this substance.

I think I’m striking out due to submitting to places that are a bad fit, but I can’t seem to find what a good fit would be. Anybody able to point me in a good direction or resource?

Facebook has open call groups that put out requests for stuff and might be worth joining. Otherwise it’s just making contacts mainly. I sell pretty much all my short stuff through contacts and being approached than subbing.

What Jo, said, also what Brian say as well, you need to read the the publications, ether paper, or ezine to get a handle on what they print. Also read the submission guidelines, quite often with anthologies, they give a broad, or sometimes detailed outline of what they are looking for. Sometimes it is a case of submit it and see. No short cut I am afraid.

Ralan.com is the best resource I know of for markets for SF/F/H short fiction

Story 1 sounds like a possible for Interzone Story 4 sounds like something Black Static might like.