DAW open to Subs

Is that a warning? This looked pretty good for my situation until you said that.
There’s a very funny longstanding blog about a chap who submitted and proceeded to liaise with the editor about his mss for about 10 years without getting an answer. Their slush pile is notorious - but that’s not to say this will be :)

Hmmm. I wasn’t considering seriously submitting until I’d built up a few more publishing credits, but I might be able to let it languish at DAW while I go through the process.

Yet this seems incredibly naïve perhaps.

Hmmm. I wasn’t considering seriously submitting until I’d built up a few more publishing credits, but I might be able to let it languish at DAW while I go through the process.

Yet this seems incredibly naïve perhaps.
Open windows are a lottery. See it as that, enjoy the punt and don’t sweat it, and you’ll be grand. :)

I like that advice. Now I’m wondering if my work fits at all with them. They seem to be into really traditional fantasy stuff rather than speculative or weird stuff.

My book is about an artist with a supernatural hammer that can carve into other dimensions.

Jo's very anti-opensub. :D

The Negatives:
It's a long haul, 99 times out of 100 resulting in a no. The kicker is the 3 month exclusive, meaning you can't send it to anyone else while it's sat forgotten on someone's hard drive. Not many agents require this any longer. Angry Robot didn't in their last open, that I recall.
It's a lot of faff.
You won't have an agent to navigate through a contract if they offer.
You won't get personalised feedback.
Checking on your subs progress becomes an obsession.
You plan world domination even though you KNOW the chances are slim.
You'll probably end up with a boiler plate contract.
You'll have to pay SOMEONE to look over that contract.
We haven't even got to the issues of marketing that book 'alone' yet...

The Positives:
It takes a certain commitment to believe in your work enough to send it in.
DAW is a big name - its published some great stuff (Check out Mike Brooks' space western Kieko series, starting with Dark Run, anything by Kate Elliott if you want examples)
You won't have an agent taking 20% of your advance. (US counts as foreign soil, folks)
A 'yes' can help in finding an agent.
You dodge a gate or two going direct to the publisher.

As you can see, the negatives far out way the positives. Agents make things so much easier- but not necessarily faster.

I’m not, actually - I think they’re great provided they don’t ask for an exclusive. :)

I went in for one with a 3 month exclusive that then took 18 months to reject me. That was less than ideal.

My current baby is out with agents though so I’m ruled out.

I've had a story with McSweeney's for well over 3 years now and have confirmed it's "still under consideration". Probably just means they haven't gotten round to it yet, obviously.

I'm not ready for this DAW window but I think I might be by the end of the year, when it's closed again.

Sigh.

Last edited:
I'm going to leave this opportunity aside until I'm done finishing my novella and subbing to Tor via their upcoming open call for novellas this July.

Then I'll have to finish my full-length novel to sub to this one...

Just made an account with them. Can stand the idea of a 3 month exclusive wait, considering the potential. Now to write the query letter - potentially the fastest way to get the work rejected so need to get it right...