Big Changes to Chrons!

CTRandall

I have my very own plant pot!
Supporter
Re Paypal, I'm not a fan. I understand your reasoning for not doing Paypal Express but I had a bad experience with them a few years ago and am loathe to set up an account. If there's no other option, I'll have a think about following in Nixie's webbed footsteps (nixies are water creatures, right?).

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
Re Paypal, I'm not a fan. I understand your reasoning for not doing Paypal Express but I had a bad experience with them a few years ago and am loathe to set up an account. If there's no other option, I'll have a think about following in Nixie's webbed footsteps (nixies are water creatures, right?).
Yes they are

TheEndIsNigh

...Prepare Thyself
Supporter
Golly goshness! have been away for 2 or 3 months working for HP in Germany, and I come back to find a rather lovely SFF makeover! Well done, Brian, for a job well done!

As for PayPal - I really don't like them for a variety of personal and technical reasons. But if there are no other payment options that exclude PP completely, then I will have to dig a little deeper into what PP do with my PI before signing up.

Haven't had much time yet to check out everything new here, but it certainly looks the bees-knees (y)
I believe that you can make one of payments through PP without acttually having an account.

But I could be wrong since it's a long time ago since I signed up and it may be different now (Or the - ooh what's that word for when you start to lose it................ Ah yes Demtia is setting in)

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Because it's a subscription you have to set up an account. I feel much the same as @CTRandall so I set up an account made the payment and then closed the account, so I will need to repeat that process next year.

@Brian G Turner would it be possible for you to fire off an automatic email alerting us when it is time to 'renew' so I know to set it up again?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I am thinking of setting something up on Patreon to run alongside the chron subscriptions. I'm not sure how it will work yet - whether I'll need people to send their usernames or email after signing up.

However, would people be more comfortable with that as an option?

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I suspect I'm still going to be a little uncomfortable. For me it's not the name PayPal, it's the principle of having my details stored on systems that might get hacked. I don't mind stuff like name and address, but these sites have stored everything necessary to make payments - card number, expiry, name, security code, postcode.

Over the years I've three times had fraudulent payments made on my card; twice several thousand pounds each and once several hundred. Fortunately on each occasion my card supplier's system picked up the unusual nature of the transaction and contacted me and I didn't loose any money. I don't know whether it was from this sort of source they got my details but I am understandably, I think, a little wary. I hate that I have to have all my card details on Amazon to buy eBooks and don't really understand why, in contrast it's not a requirement for Kobo.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Never had a problem with personal accounts, but had the business card flagged a couple of times - especially after business trips. I suspect hotel staff rather than online security.

I've used Paypal for 15 years as a business and customer with no problems, and trust it - namely because as a card processor online security is the primary concern and if they were ever hacked their reputation would be destroyed.

It tends to be third-parties who get between the customer and the payment processor that cause problems, not least where anything digital is a bolt-on rather than integral for their business - ie, BA last week.

thaddeus6th

On Patreon: different models exist. I was considering this a while ago and saw a few approaches. Lindybeige just has one tier, with no bonuses, at a very low level. Others have a wide variety of levels with differing bonuses.

ctg

weaver of the unseen

This is a huge change. How does the forum software now calculate the views?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
For Patreon I was considering something like

This is a huge change. How does the forum software now calculate the views?
I've not made any changes to that - views have always been visible, but I think these days they exclude bots which the software we used up to a couple of years ago didn't. I don't think the thread views update immediately, though.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
I don't think the thread views update immediately, though.
It super strange, because I know for the fact that the people read my stuff and I get views, even if I don't post. But it's not my stuff as I noticed this same thing applying to other threats. Either the site lost a lot of its followers over the weekend, or then the counter is somehow broken.

For that particular thread, I know that it might been read more than 8 times, because I've read it a couple times and I assume a couple of other people have as well.

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
I hate that I have to have all my card details on Amazon
I hit upon the idea of buying myself Amazon gift cards and just topping up my account like that whenever I need to buy something. That way they don't need my card details, and I can sleep sound at night (Well, until my bladder tells me it's time to get up :()

HareBrain

Bunny of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I've not made any changes to that - views have always been visible, but I think these days they exclude bots which the software we used up to a couple of years ago didn't. I don't think the thread views update immediately, though.
I've noticed today, I think, that the view-count on the top two articles on the home page haven't moved in a while, and seem stuck on 39 (Chronicle of a Death Foretold) and 47 (Ladies of Grace Adieu). I haven't been consciously keeping track, so can't be absolutely sure, but those numbers seem to have become awfully familiar.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
It super strange, because I know for the fact that the people read my stuff and I get views, even if I don't post. But it's not my stuff as I noticed this same thing applying to other threats. Either the site lost a lot of its followers over the weekend, or then the counter is somehow broken.

For that particular thread, I know that it might been read more than 8 times, because I've read it a couple times and I assume a couple of other people have as well.
Just to add that it looks as though one of the automated tasks had failed, so I've manually run it and that seems to have fixed it - for the moment at least. :)