Big Changes to Chrons!

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I suspect the reason you have to have a paypal account rather than just paying by card is that it is a recurring annual payment and they only permit them through accounts. @nixie I suspect this means that your 'renewal' next year will fail, though I may do the same and then manually renew next year. I have a pathological hatred of having third parties store my card details...

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
@Brian G Turner, it just occurred to me when we were talking before about the alerts on watched forums that you were talking about emails whereas I was really thinking more along the lines of the alerts link in the top right. These are what I was observing are not being triggered for my watched forum (reviews).
See what happens now. :)

If there are any issues do you want to post in the existing Missing Alerts so it doesn't become buried in replies here? :)

I suspect the reason you have to have a paypal account rather than just paying by card is that it is a recurring annual payment and they only permit them through accounts.
I think that's probably the reason - that occurred to me earlier as well.

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Hey Brian! Happy to become a paying member. I sent a payment request through PayPal this morning, but it hasn't been taken out of my bank account yet; I hope you'll see the payment in the next day or so.

I like all the upgrades to the site! CC

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've removed the "Resident Authors" tag from the forum listing display for the time being, until I can ensure this is fair and representative of all our authors. Any of our writers with tags will still appear in the "All Author Tags" list on the homepage and beside featured threads. I'll aim to catch up with everyone else in good time.
I'm finding it very hard to set up tags for many of our writers, because they don't post under their writing name - which makes it difficult to find their work, especially when we have so many writers.

I managed to tag Juliana Spink Mills earlier, but I think it's going to have to be a case of adding tags when I see writers posting to press releases - and preferably about things other than promotions, ie, cover reveals, events, etc - and working retrospectively from there.

Writers who aren't actively posting can't expect me to go digging through 2+ million posts for stuff not even posted under their own name!

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I forgot to mention the SFFchronicles2 theme, which is ideal for desktops - so I've added that as point no.7 in the original post, for those who might have missed any previous reference to it. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
1. Email notifications reset

I've been getting a lot of bounced notifications, as some email providers are starting to treat them as spam. As this can only cause problems for the long-term, I've reset all email notifications to off.

This means that to receive email notifications from now you must actively opt-in. To do that, update your preferences here.
Just to let everyone know that I just reset this for watched threads, as I hadn't realized I'd missed them before.

The problem was that notifications were being classed as spam by various email providers, and when I went into the database there were over 43,000 watched threads with email notifications - so I can understand why that happened.

Your watched threads remain unchanged, and can be found here: https://www.sffchronicles.com/watched/threads - it's simply that you'll have to set email notifications on for your watched threads in your preferences: https://www.sffchronicles.com/account/preferences

ALSO! If you do find chrons emails end up in your spam/junk folder, please do flag it as not spam, or else whitelist sffchronicles.com, so that ISP's know not to filter your alerts!

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
ALSO! If you do find chrons emails end up in your spam/junk folder, please do flag it as not spam, or else whitelist sffchronicles.com, so that ISP's know not to filter your alerts!
How do I do either of these? All my Chrons emails are coming into my spam folder, and I've not found a way of changing that and having them arrive in my Inbox.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I think in both Outlook and Gmail you can right click the email header and select "not spam" or "whitelist". I'm not sure whether that's the same for most email clients.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
I can't find that on mine. :(

I've just added SFFChrons as a contact, in case it can use its common sense and see that the address is a contact then emails are going to be welcome. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm using something called eM Client if anyone else can help out here.

HanaBi

Is it Safe?
Golly goshness! have been away for 2 or 3 months working for HP in Germany, and I come back to find a rather lovely SFF makeover! Well done, Brian, for a job well done!

As for PayPal - I really don't like them for a variety of personal and technical reasons. But if there are no other payment options that exclude PP completely, then I will have to dig a little deeper into what PP do with my PI before signing up.

Haven't had much time yet to check out everything new here, but it certainly looks the bees-knees (y)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I have tried to look at other payment options - especially using Paypal express so that no Paypal account is required. However, it's going to cost a few hundred to even begin to set anything like that up - so I'd prefer to see a demand to justify it first, rather than have members become Supporters just to support paying for a checkout option!

HanaBi

Is it Safe?
Thanks, Brian. In all likelihood I will sign up with PP; am just a little wary of their security protection for payments and accounts.

Just me being a little paranoid from a tech point of view.:)

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
I have tried to look at other payment options - especially using Paypal express so that no Paypal account is required. However, it's going to cost a few hundred to even begin to set anything like that up - so I'd prefer to see a demand to justify it first, rather than have members become Supporters just to support paying for a checkout option!
I have no problem with PayPal and I've used it for years without problem, but would simple e-transfers from bank accounts be an option for people that don't want to sign up to PayPal?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
That would start to get messy from my perspective - as this is all still quite new I'd rather start with an imperfect system then try to improve on it, even if some people don't use it because of that.