Cyberpunk 2077

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
In case you were unaware, CD Projekt Red has been developing Cyberpunk 2077, a reworking of the classic PnP RPG Cyberpunk 2020. It's being developed with the aid of CP2020 creator Mike Pondsmith. It's been five years since the initial announcement and this past week at E3 they released the first trailer, with gameplay footage to come in a few weeks. I'm very excited that things seem to be moving in the right direction for this game.

I am so excited about this! I am a huge Deus Ex series (I have the h+3 tattoo on my forearm) and The Witcher fan since the first game (and from the books), and I cannot wait to play this 12312312 times. I stopped watching the gameplay trailer halfway just to avoid spoilers.

The mission will probably be very different in the final game, if it's there at all. They say in the vid that the last 15 mins are them just showing off stuff, which they certainly did! Hugely ambitious looking game, so much detail to take in. Plus the voice acting is excellent.

I don't know whether it's just this demo, but (apart from the technical excellence) what strikes me is how long it takes for anything to really happen. The scene with the doctor takes about five minutes, but really boils down to "select implant, press X to purchase". I'm all for immersion, but I think this could get dull on a second play-through. We shall see, though. I might well be proved wrong about that.

I read elsewhere that everything in the demo, including movement, is taken deliberately slowly to give you a chance to see what's going on. The scene with the doctor is one that you'd be doing quite often given the amount of augmentations that are likely to be in the game, so I would imagine that such sequences will be skippable (if you want to) after the first time you've done them.

@Toby Frost

Just rewatching the demo and if you look closely at the doctor sequence, at the time below, at the bottom right of the screen it says to press 'B' to skip, so the option is already there:

:)

At the moment the game is single player only. There have been some pretty hot threads on CDPR's own boards about whether to include MP or not. The game, when it's finally released, will only be SP to start. They've said time and again they aren't trying to make an MMORPG.

Is it sad that I've watched the 45 min Cyberpunk gameplay footage like 3 times now lol? I just can't get enough of it. Takes me back to so many films like blade Runner, Minority Report, Judge Dread (90s and especially 2012 version), 5th element etc. Reminds me that I need to check out that recent cyberpunk TV show called Altered Carbon! Mates keep talking about it being really good.

I play a lot of futuresynth, 80s synth, retro synth music on youtube and they videos are often accompanied by cool animations of retro futuristic cars driving through cyberpunk style dystopian cities at night with glowing blue and purple nights. In the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay footage when you see them get in the retro sportscar and drive around the city GTA5 style I knew right away that there's gonna be moments where I break off from the main game just go for a drive at night playing some tunes haha.

Damn, I totally forgot about Altered Carbon, thanks for reminding me Blake00! I've also only heard good things about it. I've read the compilation years ago.. only remember few things.

I'd recommend reading the novel of Altered Carbon first, if you haven't already.

As I wrote, I've read it, but years ago. Do you think it's important to reread it before watching it?

Not if you've read it before, no. I didn't know what you meant by 'compilation'.

Oh, I think I mixed it up with something else, heck I've read so much cyberpunk back then.. I'll start watching the series today (y)