The Archaeology of Saudi Arabia begins to open up

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
At least there appears to be an abundance of untouched pre-Islamic sites - certainly according to the article in the Independent. I would have been much more concerned about these being damaged, but it sounds more like Islamic heritage that is not valued - perhaps even feared.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
I can understand the Saudi authorities not valuing some Islamic sites for their historical value, especially if they're fearful of them becoming shrines.

We've a long history of that in the West, from earlier Christians chopping bits from Roman statues, to recent decisions to destroy historical landmarks associated with people we'd rather forget - whether it's Germany demolishing Hitler's house, or Poland tearing down Soviet war memorials.

None of which I think are good decisions based solely on historical interest, but some would argue that context decides otherwise. I can only try to be pragmatic about such situations.

Anyway, back on topic - and I'm definitely excited to know more about the pre-Islamic historical sites. Especially as refusal to acknowledge them in the past may have actually protected some, and in number.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
My understanding is that the clerics fear idolatry. They are concerned that people are worshipping sites like Mohammed's grave and his mother's grave when they should only be worshipping Allah. It's a bit like the concern that many Catholics are worshipping Mary instead of God. So if they believe people are worshipping a site instead of Allah they're inclined to move to tear that site down.

Big danger of drifting into religious discussion here, but I believe that is the motivation and also why ancient pre-Islamic sites are not of such a concern so long as people are no longer participating in any religions they may represent. For example access to the ruins of a recently discovered ancient(ish) Christian church has been blocked, though I believe it hasn't been destroyed.