PhD in Lovecraft

darknesswarmth

Hey guys!

So I’m thinking of doing a PhD in English Literature. For my undergrad dissertation and my Masters thesis I used Lovecraft and want to continue this... Do you think there is an area of Lovecraft that would make this possible, especially considering a PhD has to offer a significant new contribution to knowledge of said subject. I’m thinking something round the Cthulhu mythos?

For anyone who’s interested my dissertation was ““That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.” The insidious philosophies and eldritch reach of H.P. Lovecraft.” ... and my Masters thesis was “An exploration of a parallel cosmicist “Structure of Feeling” in Lovecraft’s canon (1919-1937) and post-Second World War Anglo-American science fiction, 1945 to 1969 (Williams, 1954).”

Peace,love and oblivion

How about 'At the Mountains of Madness: Lovecraft's Influence on the Development of Improvisational Millenarianism in the Twentieth Century'?

That’s not a bad idea I’m not sure if that would work for a whole thesis, but I’m going to start looking into it! Lovecraftian Improvisational Millenarianism

Glad you like it. You'll find lots of stuff about conspiracies relating to cities in Antarctica, dating back to the 'forties, and these have spread into many later stigmatised knowledge claims.

In some of his stories I had the feeling the forces that characters bumped up against are the collective subconsciousness of non human life, common to the locality of the story, illuminating the idea that our control of the situation is only surface deep. An uncontrolled mental wilderness that foreshadowed a digital world we would be entering once we start implanting communication devices in our bodies and can enter virtual reality wherever we want. I would imagine we would be interacting with organized forms of artificial intelligence that would seemingly appear out of nowhere and be local to the physical areas our bodies would be in.