How many active users on here?

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
I've been doing a bit of archaeology on the Book Search (Book Search) thread and there are a lot of users with only a handful of posts and it got me to wondering how many active users are this site.

I know the definition of 'active' is hard to define, but I'm assuming there are statistics somewhere showing how many people logged in or how many have posted over some time period.

Just an idle thought. I'm sure I'll survive not knowing.

Also, what happened to those statistic boxes that showed the total number of members and number of posts?

Thanks

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm actually not sure - it depends on what time range you're using to define it. I *think* we have a few hundred who visit daily, and over a thousand who visit semi-regularly. There are also quite a lot of members who visit irregularly.

There are a lot of inactive members as well, though - I've previously culled a lot from the memberlist, and I'll do that again soon. Though big figures look impressive, smaller but more accurate and representative figures IMO make for better statistics. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Btw, just to clarify - when I say "active users" I'm referring only to registered members. As Overread points out, a lot more members visit than post, and even more people visit without posting. So even if no one replies to a post, you can usually be assured that many people have read it - both members and non-members. :)

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
@Cathbad .... Yeah, with 8003 posts in Less than 3 years!

If I were to speculate what an active user is, I would say that it is someone who at minimum visits most weeks. --- I want to add something about posting, but I can understand how a person could very well consider themselves active by keeping abreast of a thread or two and never adding to the discussion.