AmazonClassics Editions - free classic ebooks

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I hadn't noticed this before, but Amazon have published a range of classic texts as ebooks - under with the subtitle "AmazonClassics Edition" - and are all available for free.

There's everything from ancient classics such as Home and Plato, periods classics from the Bronte's, Austen, and Dickens. to more modern classics from Rudyard Kipling, EM Forster, and Dosteyevsky - plus titles such as War of the Worlds, Frankenstein, Dracula, and more!

You can find them here on Amazon UK and here on Amazon.com.

To be fair, these are books with expired copyright - but even still, it's pleasant to be able to stock up on some of these classic texts, in versions already optimized for Kindle/Fire reading. :)

Last edited:
A lot of these are a bit messy in terms of release on Amazon. I recall getting a load when I first got my Kindle years ago*; however some are also released in compendiums as well (often with around a 50p or so cost).

But good to put it up for many who might not realise that many classics are expired in copyright :)

*although they weren't then listed or sold as "amazonclassics"

I've previously seen classics for free on Amazon, but not ones directly produced by Amazon themselves.

Either way, I've ended up gorging on them - 28 downloaded. :)

I suspect they are just rebadged Gutenberg books, which I think is okay so long as they don't charge. Note most (all?) Gutenberg books are available as mobi books which kindle is perfectly happy with.

Gutenberg does have books available, but they don't seem to have either covers or even titles. The AmazonClassics Editions at least have those. :)

I downloaded over 25 and have already reread a good bit of their translation of "1001 Tales of the Arabian Nights".