Discussion Thread -- June 2018 75-word Writing Challenge

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Judging by the mid-month silence.... Everyone must be like me. I have nothing for this challenge. We have a genre "Horror" which I avoid reading like the plague, and a topic technology which I love and always think people see way too much wrong in what's usually right about it. So I have something I don't want to make sound bad in genre where bad is what's expected. SIGH!

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Sorry Parson, and to anyone who might find the Challenge genre offensive, or uninspiring. :( I've written, I think, some of my best Challenge stories when I was writing outside of my comfort zone, but I hadn't considered that this was a genre that might prove unpopular.

Are there other ways to approach this Challenge? Though I went bloody/gross-out, there are other types of horror. But apologies if this month is too much of a downer for folks.

Justin Swanton

Loving the view from up here.
Sorry Parson, and to anyone who might find the Challenge genre offensive, or uninspiring. :( I've written, I think, some of my best Challenge stories when I was writing outside of my comfort zone, but I hadn't considered that this was a genre that might prove unpopular.

Are there other ways to approach this Challenge? Though I went bloody/gross-out, there are other types of horror. But apologies if this month is too much of a downer for folks.
I found it an interesting subject, but then I personally don't consider scientific innovation that great a benefit for humanity in the long term so it suited my cheerful temperament.

Hugh

Supporter
Well I'm in!

I did find this hard, and was dissatisfied with my story, feeling that it did not fit the genre in the way that I would have liked, but I'm not a writer* and feel obliged to honour whatever story comes to me: just grateful to produce one.

However, looking through the entries, I see several that I think very good.

*Please note: though I am not a writer and profess no ambition to be one, secretly a part of me would be delighted (briefly) if the world were suddenly to gasp in wonder at the brilliance of my stories.

Justin Swanton

Loving the view from up here.
Well I'm in!

I did find this hard, and was dissatisfied with my story, feeling that it did not fit the genre in the way that I would have liked, but I'm not a writer* and feel obliged to honour whatever story comes to me: just grateful to produce one.

However, looking through the entries, I see several that I think very good.

*Please note: though I am not a writer and profess no ambition to be one, secretly a part of me would be delighted (briefly) if the world were suddenly to gasp in wonder at the brilliance of my stories.
Gasp!*

*My opinion being worth at least that of the world.

Last edited:
Judging by the mid-month silence.... Everyone must be like me. I have nothing for this challenge. We have a genre "Horror" which I avoid reading like the plague, and a topic technology which I love and always think people see way too much wrong in what's usually right about it. So I have something I don't want to make sound bad in genre where bad is what's expected. SIGH!
Come now, sir. 'Horror' in a 75 word story is nothing more than a horrific element or punchline. Certainly you can think of books you like with horror elements - human sacrifice, people being swallowed alive by sea monsters, people being nailed to trees, etc.

Parson

Supporter

@Cat's Cradle --- You are apologizing too much! I have done horror before even though I do not intentionally read any of it. ---- Hm, I guess years ago I did read some Edgar Allan Poe without it being assigned. My problem is the linkage of the two. I really, really, like technology and having that be the stimulus for horror ..... well it doesn't work well for me. But I will most certainly try to come up with something. I've never intentionally not entered one of these 75 word challenges.

Come now, sir. 'Horror' in a 75 word story is nothing more than a horrific element or punchline. Certainly you can think of books you like with horror elements - human sacrifice, people being swallowed alive by sea monsters, people being nailed to trees, etc.
Certainly I can, I've read a lot of S.F., a lot of historical works, and a lot of thrillers, but the purpose of these horror elements was not simply to evoke cringes, or at least I didn't see it that way. My wife and I always shake our heads at a trailer or an ad for a horror flick, and say "Why would anyone willingly go see something like that?"

Parson

Supporter
@Justin Swanton .... Brave New World .... Just when you thought you'd heard of all of the possible reasons to push the button, Justin gives us a new and chilling one.

@Hugh .... Tomorrow .... Hugh points out that Armageddon might not just pit human against human, but that some might be fighting for dear old Gaia.

Travis Woodward

Maker of plans
Picked a tricky month to start taking part in the challenges again! My first few attempts ended up reading more like entries for the Darwin awards than horror stories...

Parson

Supporter
@Travis Woodward .... Security update .... Travis gives us the unwelcome news that mechanized security can be just as inhumane as the human counterpart.

@Artoriarius .... Begin Your Day with NutriCorp .... Artoriarius goes all post-apocalyptic in a story about going Postal for some Joe.