David Gilman's Master of War Series

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Anyone tried this series set in the 100 years war? It just popped up on my Amazon recommendations, and at 99p with a decent opening I'm tempted to try it out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BOE1E6U/?tag=brite-21

However, thought I'd ask the wider chrons membership if they've come across this series already, and what their thoughts were? With nearly 400 reviews, I'd figure it must be quite popular. :)

I was actually hoping someone I knew or trusted could give a good recommendation of it:)

I ended up borrowing it through Amazon Prime and wished I'd bought it on the cheap, now. I've just started chapter 3 and it oozes with historical realism - this is someone who's done his research. However, rather than dwelling on that it keeps to a tight pacing with sharp character and dialogue. I noticed the 2nd book is currently 99p so I've grabbed that quick in case this one fulfilled its promise.

I am about half way through the first book and really enjoying it. The characters are well drawn, the action solid and it moves along at a rollicking good pace. Excellent HF.

Having just finished the first book, I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Not for the faint-hearted in places, but the writing brings the time and context alive, never losing pace or purpose. This is an author completely in control of his vision for the book.

I finished the book, feeling enriched and having learned much.

I will begin the second towards the end of next week.

Best Wishes,
David