Missing Alerts

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
I got an alert from the thread Discussion Thread -- August 2018 75-word Writing Challenge yesterday at 8:11PM and there have been no other alerts from that thread. Yet there have been about 2 or 3 more pages of posts in the thread since then. I would have expected to have received at least one from the thread when I logged on this evening, given that I logged off and closed down last night.
Silly questions, but (a) did you pick up the 8:11pm alert last night, and (b) did you go into the thread after 8:11pm but before logging off? It will only show alerts for new posts which are posted after the last time you've picked up on an older alert, and I suspect it might not show them if you don't go into the thread itself.

Or what Vertigo just said more quickly and more succinctly.

If you did pick up the alert and go into the thread, I've no idea what's going on.

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
I may have misunderstood but I believe you only get an alert for the first unread post in a watched thread. Any subsequent posts don't generate alerts. ~After you've next been in and read that thread you will then get an alert for the next post again. Something like that anyway.
Yes from my own observations if you don't visit the thread after being alerted then, even if the thread is marked as watched, no further alerts will then appear. Until you open that thread again. So if you ignore an alert and avoid the thread it may appear afterwards that the alert functionality is 'broken'.

But thinking about it, it makes sense - if you are watching a thread with loads of activity do you really want to get an alert for every single new post?

I've lost track of numerous thread d because I've opened up the browser, got new alerts and (I assume) been called away immediately or had to close down the browser before perusing.

Possibly the quickest way to solve the issue would be to use the Forums>Watched list, which gives you a list of all your watched threads - those that are bold fonted are ones with new posts you haven't seen. ???? (Although I had a look at my list and there's almost 1000 threads in total there!)

M. Robert Gibson

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
I may have misunderstood but I believe you only get an alert for the first unread post in a watched thread. Any subsequent posts don't generate alerts. ~After you've next been in and read that thread you will then get an alert for the next post again.
Yes, that's pretty much how I understood it to work, with the added understanding (possibly mis-) that after logging out then logging on the next day, any new posts should generate an alert.

Yes from my own observations if you don't visit the thread after being alerted then, even if the thread is marked as watched, no further alerts will then appear. Until you open that thread again. So if you ignore an alert and avoid the thread it may appear afterwards that the alert functionality is 'broken'.
Quite possibly this is what has happened

The New Posts and Watched buttons are my most common access points.
This will now be my default mode and I'll just ignore those pesky alerts (y)

I've just been into my Watched list and there are new posts in threads that I'd forgotten I'd ever visited.
All that great stuff I've been missing:cry:

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Yes, that's pretty much how I understood it to work, with the added understanding (possibly mis-) that after logging out then logging on the next day, any new posts should generate an alert.

Quite possibly this is what has happened

This will now be my default mode and I'll just ignore those pesky alerts (y)

I've just been into my Watched list and there are new posts in threads that I'd forgotten I'd ever visited.
All that great stuff I've been missing:cry:
I mainly rely on the watched threads view and the New Posts as I always find they work just fine. With the addition that in the Watched view I have all watched threads visible and in the New Posts view I have read threads hidden.