Word of the Day: unusual words you may not have heard of

Wiktionary is a handy reference, too. Lots of dialect words, as well as the regular variety.

arctophile
[ahrk-tuh-fahyl]
noun
a person who is very fond of and is usually a collector of teddy bears.

turophile
[toor-uh-fahyl, tyoor-, tur-]
noun
a connoisseur or lover of cheese.

Here's one I don't know. Amazingly, Google doesn't know it either. Does anyone here know what it means?

pityomycology

It obviously has something to do with fungi (it comes from a book on woodland ecology in a section dealing with Japanese mycorrhizal fungi). Beyond that, I'm clueless.

Quafftide: the time when one feels entitled to a drink.

I keep a Sir Edric file for one liners, and have added quite a few words, including the one above, having read them on Susie Dent's Twitter account.

I came across a couple of words I'm not familiar with recently, and thought it might be fun to have a thread showcasing perhaps less common words.

Have you ever read?

OED.jpg

I came across a great word at the weekend which might be a challenge to include in your average bit of writing:

defenestration
/ˌdiːfɛnɪˈstreɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
noun: defenestration; plural noun: defenestrations

formal•humorous
the action of throwing someone out of a window.
"death by defenestration has a venerable history"

informal
the action or process of dismissing someone from a position of power or authority.
"that victory resulted in Churchill's own defenestration by the war-weary British electorate"

I just love that we actually a a word for throwing someone out of a window. How good is that?

Naptide :D

I've never used defenestration myself, but I've come across it a number of times over the years -- in reading, I hasten to add, not in real life.

One word I was appalled to discover a couple of years ago was noyade -- a mass execution by drowning, as practised in Nantes during the French Revolution.

That's a rather specific term. Never heard of it before it.

Defenestration is a good word. Those who did French or German at school may find the meaning easier to remember (think the French for window is fenetre and the German is Fenster).