Looking for a sci-fi book

Bango007

Hello everyone,
I have been looking for this book I had read while stationed aboard the USS Midway. I read it in 1986-87, the cover had the main character dressed in a special suit made by his father, who he was searching the galaxy for. I can't recall his name, he is facing northeast firing his blasters, the suit I believe is magenta color and looks kind of like a cowboys outfit, he is wearing a cowboy hat. There is also a girl, she may have been wearing shorts and is also firing blasters, but she is facing west and is in a kneeling/ sitting position. On the back cover there are some floating translucent looking dinosaurs with glowing eyes, I believe there is what I think look liked wolves running toward the main character and the girl.
The story begins with the main character trying to shoot a gun at the side of the barn, when holds the weapon in his hand, a targeting reticle appears in his vision, however the reticles do not align properly and making very difficult to shoot the target. He remembers his father had a special suit, and that his father put implants in his hands when he was younger. Well he meets this guy in a pub or tavern, I think he is a bounty hunter, and the main character recognizes the outfit this guy is wearing to be the his fathers suit. The bounty hunter guy leaves the pub, the main character stays a little longer trying to figure out a way to get his fathers suit back. He leaves the pub and walks a little then finds the bounty hunter guy dead, he takes the suit and blasters. The main character is camping out somewhere when he hears noises in the bushes, a wolf like creature comes jumping out and begins to run towards him, he draws the blaster from the holster, and the reticles appear in his vision only this time they align perfectly. The wolf suddenly goes into slow motion, he aims then squeezes the trigger, killing the wolf with one shot. once he holstered the blaster everything goes back to normal speed. Next the main character is on another planet and he encounters these floating brontosaurus looking type creatures with glowing eyes and they communicated telepathically, I think they even help him find his father. He also meets a girl along the way, and she travels with him as he looks for his father. He eventually finds his father in a cave on some planet.
I really enjoyed this story and would really appreciate some help finding it, I don't know the author or publishing company.

You'd think you could find the cover easily--unless its some obscure edition cover.
cover had the main character dressed in a special suit made by his father, who he was searching the galaxy for. I can't recall his name, he is facing northeast firing his blasters, the suit I believe is magenta color and looks kind of like a cowboys outfit, he is wearing a cowboy hat. There is also a girl, she may have been wearing shorts and is also firing blasters, but she is facing west and is in a kneeling/ sitting position. On the back cover there are some floating translucent looking dinosaurs with glowing eyes, I believe there is what I think look liked wolves running toward the main character and the girl.

I went to my book room and dug out these US Questar versions of Allen L. Wolds Rikard Braeth books. Rikard is searching for his father in the first book Jewels of the Dragon. He has the gun implant and travels the universe tomb raiding and meeting aliens. Hope this is the right series. Welcome to the Chrons!
20180519_175916[1].jpg

Thank you but sad to say that is not it, similar plotline. I appreciate you showing me those books.

Interesting. The main character has the hand targeting modification that allows him to speed up and hit a fast moving target as long as he is wearing the right glove to complete the circuit in the pistol. He is looking for his father and in the process he encounters glowing Dragons that use lighting to inadvertently kill people.

There have been other covers for this book. It was printed in 1986.

Good luck with the search.

I went to my book room and dug out these US Questar versions of Allen L. Wolds Rikard Braeth books. Rikard is searching for his father in the first book Jewels of the Dragon. He has the gun implant and travels the universe tomb raiding and meeting aliens. Hope this is the right series. Welcome to the Chrons!View attachment 44568

Those bring back memories .