Nightflyers (Syfy)

Well, that series was a merry mess! :D

I enjoyed it, but only with copious amounts of ice cream.

Maybe it was too advanced for me and the multiple glaring mistakes could be explained somehow. What do I know. I do think GRRM should stay with fantacy though.

Well, I was wrong HBO barred GRRM from writing in the series. So, the director did the next best thing and asked for George's feedback. Therefore @Phyrebrat was right, Mr Martin has mother issues, but I don't think he should solely devote his time for the fantasy.

Owing to his commitment to HBO, Martin wasn’t permitted to work on the show in an official capacity, but after writing the script for the pilot Buhler made sure Martin got hold of a copy. Instead of having him board the writing team, Buhler did the next best thing: he developed a relationship with Martin and kept him in the loop, going to him for advice and feedback.

Though the show takes place mostly in space (with a few flashbacks to life on Earth before the mission began), it’s far from a space opera. “A lot of sci-fi shows that have been coming out sort of fit into the loose category of space opera, but I would put us squarely in the horror camp,” Buhler tells us. “I would also say that we have a more conceptual approach to storytelling. There’s a little bit of David Lynch in there and a little bit of David Cronenberg. There’s a little bit of Ridley Scott and of course there’s a bit of Stanley Kubrick across the whole thing, as he’s that great giant on the hill whose shadow is cast across the entire genre. Instead of trying to run away from the huge influences we try to embrace them. I think there’s an element of cinematic fanboy geekdom in there. So people who are fans of horror or sci-fi will recognised lots of Easter eggs and treasures scattered throughout the show, which I think is a slightly different approach to horror straight down the line.”

Buhler reckons the show’s characters are also a little out of the ordinary. “You’re not going to see a lot of heroes or bad guys in this show,” he explains. “We don’t have people who are on one team of the other. Everybody is broken. Everybody is good and bad. There’s a lot of complexity. There’s a lot of people that are doing very frustrating things.”

Like many of us, Buhler loves seeing good people making bad choices when it comes to storytelling. “We make bad decisions all the time and there are ramifications for those, so we see people making mistakes, and following their hearts when they should be following their minds, and following their minds when they should be following their hearts. So there’s a lot of fun character dynamics. We have an incredibly talented cast. When we were casting the show we were looking for characters who were talented but could embody real characters as people. We didn’t want to make television characters. We weren’t looking for a particular aesthetic. We wanted people who felt like they could be from anywhere in the world, and could be grounded and realistic and complex.”
Nightflyers writer Jeff Buhler on George RR Martin, space and what’s next for the human race

...but I don't think he should solely devote his time for the fantasy.
Right. Maybe I was too harsh there. The thing is, I loved the overall story and thought it ended on an interesting note. There were also some great ideas and scenes - the way it all starts with the tree in space is fantastic, bordering on classic. I just think they could have told the story a little better throughout. But it's easy to sit here being a cold critic while wolfing down ice cream. My opinion doesn't really count, anyway.

We are so spoiled these days, and that's what I take away from this. Thanks for the reviews of episodes and interesting takes on things. :)

My opinion doesn't really count, anyway.

It does, as it is as valid as any other opinions. GRRM was a creator/consultant in this project, so even his opinion would just be an opinion as Buhler put the whole thing together and went further than George in the previous time.

We are so spoiled these days, and that's what I take away from this.

I agree. We are spoiled, and I hope SyFy doesn't stop making these even things fly over the audience heads, because they're brave and bold on creating material that is controversial to what we so often see in the small screen.

Thanks for the reviews of episodes and interesting takes on things. :)

It is always my pleasure, even if sometimes I don't want to do it. Thank you for putting a smile on my face.

Nightflyers gets only one season ..... I could see this coming … the Martian story is circumscribed and should have been a movie, a movie better than the earlier one made.

Not a great surprise that this was cancelled. It was woefully bad. It was all over the place. It showed that Martin had no input into the writing.

Sorry guys, I'm bumping this thread. Just going to finish the second series of Altered Carbon and then I'm going to watch this.

Watched it. I thought it was okay, but given the ending, which I thought was quite nice, I didn’t understand where the horror came from. I also think That the series ended where it should’ve and any further series would’ve been unbearable. I would be interested now in reading the story that it was based on.

Great ship design and effects. The acting was okay, but it could be quite melodramatic on occasion. Good sound track.