Nightflyers (Syfy)

Hey, let's not jump the gun, here. We've got the finale (1.10 "All That Have Found") scheduled tonight.

Oh, I thought that was the finale! My mistake. Apologies.

Was that the source of the voiceover as Karl grieved over Agatha's dead body?

My understanding is that she saved herself in the astral body. And she was going to join the Volcryn to break the loop.

Not a problem. You had me for a second. I would hate for the series (season) to end with so many unanswered questions.

If she can communicate with Karl that way, they can dump Thale. (y)

Reactions: ctg
Reset?
This could be one of those things, as ctg said, that has flown over my head.
Looks to me that the Volcryn decided to give Humans another go by looping the Nightflyer first contact mission all the way back to square one. Karl was returned to his daughter with bloody T-shirt and memories intact, leaving only the bracelet given to him by his daughter behind in the escape pod. She might scold him for losing it.
All of the axing, bloodletting and eye-scooping aboard the Nightflyer never happened for anyone but Karl, whose memories would make him essential to the success of a mission remake. A good start would be cutting Agatha from the team.
I note that the opening labeled this episode a "season" rather than a "series" finale. Would successive seasons take a Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow approach, repeating the mission until Humans get first contact right?

This is series is a terrific ! I can't wait for season 2 ! :cool:(y)

vHaL99I.jpg

For a man hell-bent on seeing his dead daughter again Karl seemed to be extra devastated for losing Agatha. I mean the ship was breaking apart and he wouldn't devote any pieces of his memory machine to saving it, because of off-chance of seeing his daughter again.

Why would the space-aliens sent them back in time with his memories intact? It's either crazy or then the Volcryn's would know that his memory-machine would break through the quantum-barriers and eventually Karl would gain his memories back. But, here's the thing, why they would do that same thing to Agatha or Thale's, because surely they would again start receiving psychic feedback from the aliens trying to break the loop.

Interesting thing that no SF writer - to my knowledge - has brought up is, does these space-time continuum breaking paradoxes cause problems for navigation and safety in space? The space is infinite in size, but things inside it can be arranged in certain way, and there are only limited ways things can be achieved. So does the event places cause problems? I don't know for sure, because the humanity has not experienced anything like it.

The paradoxes are extreme events, breaking them has be equally extraordinary. Therefore, maybe one passenger is enough to prevent it from happening in the first place. But it doesn't explain how they occur, and what caused it. It's just a cure. A gift from one species to another, for no reason at all or then the reason is that the paradoxes are things that causes problems for the higher species, and they needed it to be removed.

However, how is anyone going to listen Karl if what he says sounds crazy? The exploration is our oldest sin, and I'm sure the Nightflyer will chase Volcryn's again, even if Karl has the knowledge. So, without knowing what caused it, Karl is just holding a punch of clues in his hands.

VqTGrat.jpg

Malentha was equally devastated. But strangely she wasn't concerned about flying into the alien phenomenom as she was grieving at Ares bedside as if the android had a soul. If Ares is Synthia's product, then surely, if she wanted she could fix the machine again.

What I don't understand is why Karl believed Loomie more and why Malentha couldn't see that her former lover wasn't acting like the hacker should? Synthia isn't Loomie and she is too angry for acting as the hacker should. It is very likely that the organic Ai never watched and recorded Loomie's actions so carefully that she would have passed as the real hacker. Yet, Karl and Malentha bought her lies as if Synthia had become a master actress all of suddenly.

It took a really long time for Malentha to understand that the Ai light wasn't the same. Even then, she thought that Ares was trying to communicate with her, instead of understanding that things weren't as they looked. Maybe for us humans the thing is that once we trust the face, we trust that they will never change. So maybe it is wrong for us to claim that paranoia is madness, when in fact, it's a nature given warning bell or in the other words, an instinct.

When Malentha got inside the Ai room it took her a while to understand what she was looking at, even though surely should have encountered some of the technology back on Earth and inside the ship and on board Eagle-16. Synthia had to explain everything. It was like a confession from a technology wizard as Synthia told Malentha that she'd done some dark arts. But she made me laugh, when Synthia revealed that Malentha had been shagging his brother. Typical GRRM. LOL.

Why aren't the fans going nuts on this revelation?

Ve8D9Vf.jpg

Rowen acted like normal man at the brig. It surprised me that they didn't space him, but threw him into the hole to be even more desperate. There is no easy way for him to come back from grief introduced madness as it is the same for everyone of us. Healing takes a lot of time and penitence is not easy. It's far easier to let the anger and madness to fly.

wtRHdZE.jpg

Why nobody in the ship were saying that "look there's life in space?" when they saw the alien being floating outside their bridge? I mean nobody was checking it out, or even pointing at it while they were cleaning and fixing the ship. Sure the Nightflyer was damaged and they'd just the captain, but why is that nobody had time to wonder, when they'd been chasing Volcryn's for nine months? I would have been gaping at it, poking people and pointing at it to the point of madness, just because Volcryn's are an awesome sight to behold. The only pointing and looking happened, when Thale's provided view to Karl.

Yet Rowen was talking about it, and he'd been going to crazy for while, before Karl rescued him from the prison. But how he'd found time to study Volcryn's behaviour as he'd been so googly eyed for the love-of-his-life having a bun in the oven? They'd not got a close sight from the alien being until they were in the situation.

Would successive seasons take a Groundhog Day/Edge of Tomorrow approach, repeating the mission until Humans get first contact right?

Maybe, but with the knowledge Karl has the edge. He can prevent things from happening as they happened, and he can use what he has learned for good. If the second season happens, it has to show that his knowledge makes the difference. So reset isn't necessary. I'm certain that GRRM can expand the world and provide us a larger picture.

For a man hell-bent on seeing his dead daughter again Karl seemed to be extra devastated for losing Agatha.
With all the chaos going on, Agatha's body still got a proper foil-wrapped sendoff into the cosmos, whereas the remains of android Eris were unceremoniously dumped on his bed, still showing signs of "life" but given no further attention. Bias toward the organic?
Speaking of organic, the "real" Roy Eris was quite a revelation. I was surprised that Mel was able to remove one of the android's eyes to gain access to the room that included his aquarium.

Synthia told Malentha that she'd done some dark arts. But she made me laugh, when Synthia revealed that Malentha had been shagging his brother. Typical GRRM. LOL.

Why aren't the fans going nuts on this revelation?
Mel was genetically siblings with the real Roy, so maybe shagging your android brother is less outrageous. Now, if she had jumped into the aquarium for a carnal reunion with the in-the-flesh Roy.../SPOILER]

However, how is anyone going to listen Karl if what he says sounds crazy? The exploration is our oldest sin, and I'm sure the Nightflyer will chase Volcryn's again, even if Karl has the knowledge. So, without knowing what caused it, Karl is just holding a punch of clues in his hands.
Karl would realize how damaging the truth would be to his credibility. I see him as relying heavily on the words "trust me" as he guides his team and the crew around the pitfalls of the first mission.

If Syfy decides to do another season, I would watch it.

Agatha's body still got a proper foil-wrapped sendoff into the cosmos, whereas the remains of android Eris were unceremoniously dumped on his bed, still showing signs of "life" but given no further attention. Bias toward the organic?

Yeah. Bias, because we cannot for some reason accept or love the abnormal. We think machines as disposable things, even thought they're the ones that keeps us alive. It's like at the end we think that we can walk in shop and get another one ... even out there, billions of kilometres from Earth. I also take from the images that they were in the interstellar space.

Now, if she had jumped into the aquarium for a carnal reunion with the in-the-flesh Roy..

ROFL. Yeah, man, that is funny. A bit of love at the end of times. It would just made it a bit more realistic.

Karl would realize how damaging the truth would be to his credibility. I see him as relying heavily on the words "trust me" as he guides his team and the crew around the pitfalls of the first mission.

If he would change his profession to preacher, it would be easier for the people to accept the all the faith he's putting on the words "trust me." We need evidence from everything, except God.

Okay, I just finished the season. And I loved it!

Will it back for a second season? About the only possibility for that is if the alien entity gives them a "reset"?

Then again, it could become another serial story, like Star Trek, with new missions?

Nah.

I'm thinking this is it. If there is a "reset", I'll watch it - but not another reset after that.

Okay, I just finished the season. And I loved it!

Will it back for a second season? About the only possibility for that is if the alien entity gives them a "reset"?

Then again, it could become another serial story, like Star Trek, with new missions?

Nah.

I'm thinking this is it. If there is a "reset", I'll watch it - but not another reset after that.
Just think of the money they would save. Half of the second season would be flashbacks of what went wrong the first time around. Two-thirds of season three would be flashbacks of seasons one and two ... :D

I don't quite know what to make of this. It has some great moments, but almost seems improvised some times. I guess that's ok because it makes it less predictable.

I think it could benefit from being more dreamlike or psychedelic, even if it was just the odd camera angle. Does it seem a bit rushed?

Anyway, I'm keeping with it.

I think it could benefit from being more dreamlike or psychedelic, even if it was just the odd camera angle. Does it seem a bit rushed?

It does, but I also recommend reading our episodic reviews. I do admit that we got lost at the beginning, then after a while it starts to become clearer that everything is happening
because of the TT.

Just keep at it.

Catching up with this on Netflix and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I’m enjoying it for what it is. A clumsy but fun guilty pleasure.

One thing I’m really concerned about us GRRMs relationship to women and particularly his mother. I believe we should start campaigning for some therapy for the poor old misogynist blighter.

Wow, has he got women issues!

pH

Wow, has he got women issues!

Yeah, expect he didn't take part in the writing process of this series. That fact came out after the series had broadcasted first time. Since I still haven't managed to read the original story, I don't know if females are in those situations as the story is only 30 000 words long.

His descriptions are long and he takes time to explain the conflict. So, I don't think that everything you'll see was in the novella.

Yeah, expect he didn't take part in the writing process of this series. That fact came out after the series had broadcasted first time. Since I still haven't managed to read the original story, I don't know if females are in those situations as the story is only 30 000 words long.

His descriptions are long and he takes time to explain the conflict. So, I don't think that everything you'll see was in the novella.

Hmm who can say? I think the depiction of women under his name here and in Game of Thrones seems particularly, consistently worrying:

1) Evil, broken matriarchs.
2) A woman whose power comes solely from her genetic augmentation rather than inherently.
3) A mother figure co-opting her mother-ness as a way to exploit her pseudo son.
4) I like the portrayal of the damaged mixed-race girl who connects to the ship. She seems to be the only one with a decent depth. But then she also smashed her father up a bit with a sledgehammer?!?

GRRM must live in a torturous mind where wimminz iz evil!!

:D

pH