Why would he do this to us?

Needle

Arya's Whisper
Hi all, been awhile! I was looking around tonight for a new read when I saw a horrible? wonderful? thing! GRRM has a new GOT book coming out in November! Oh my gosh, finally and hallelujah!! Oh wait a minute what's this? Fire and Blood, Targ history starting 300 years ago! Okay now, winter has been coming for what? 22 years now! Fate of our beloved world hanging in the balance and you want to go back 300 years!

Now I confess, I'm a die hard fan and will have to read, and hopefully completely enjoy all over 700 pages (of book one of two) but I am officially declaring GRRM (to put it nicely) a BUTTHEAD!!!! Not nice George, not nice at all!

Kylara

Ghosting
It's a theme this year I think. Kristen Britain has done the same thing - new book this year, but it's a collection of histories/shorts based in her world. Not like we've been waiting since the 90s or anything, only 6 books in....

I gave up on GGRM ages ago. Rather wait till everything is finished and go from there!

Needle

Arya's Whisper
Like I said, I can see myself really loving a little Targ history (got a little taste from The Princess and the Queen in Dangerous Women (some pretty good stories in there by the way) even if it read a little dry, but come on! 700 pages in 1/2 of the story lot of writing time there! While we continue to wait, very frustrating. While I knew all along he continued to work on other things, such as Wild Cards, but that is understandable, a whole different place and frame of mind for the author. To go to the same world and not work on an unfinished story feels very different to me.

Many authors have taken years, decades even to finish their opus, Stephen King comes to mind with his Dark Tower series (another personal favorite of mine) but when you look at his writing, almost every story he wrote between the first book and finishing the story decades later, references or ties into Roland's story, proof (to me anyway) that he never really left that world, but he didn't leave Roland hanging in the wind to tell us about his distant ancestors!

I have heard people say that with the HBO show out there that he may feel the story has been told already. I hope this is not true because is that really his story? Or just a compacted version of it? Thoughts?

I have heard people say that with the HBO show out there that he may feel the story has been told already. I hope this is not true because is that really his story? Or just a compacted version of it? Thoughts?
It's good enough for me. If he wanted to tell it himself, he could have done.

Maybe I'll reconsider when he's finally done with his version, but for now I'll take what's given. Not that its attracted a lot of plaudits since they've wandered off the path he established... maybe he's waiting to see what they get panned for in the final series so he can not do those things? :p

Overread

Direwolf of the chrons
Sometimes projects like this allow a writer to publish something new and work on a different project; ergo give themselves a bit of breathing space; but without having to start a whole new series up. Ergo its not just a writing exercise but gets published and helps put food on the table.

It might be all he needs is some time away from the setting he's writing in to get his thoughts and plot in order. Or just something to write that hasn't got the same huge pressures on him to achieve with - heck it might be that he's self concious that he "can't" write to the fans desired quality so he wants to put something out that isn't tied to the rest but which can help him restore his own faith in himself to write.