Electric cars will be forced to make noise at low speeds

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Apparently, electric cars are so quiet that they are 40% more likely to be in a collision with a pedestrian who hasn't heard it coming - so the law in the UK is changing to force all electric cars to emit a noise at low speeds:

New law to tackle electric cars’ silent menace to pedestrians

Hopefully it will be that lovely electrical sound they always had in film. :)

Sigh! One of the best things about electric cars, the lessening of noise in the city, must be changed. But at least it's for a good reason.

Maybe the sounds could be personalized, like ringtones?

Then you could have an electric car make a noise like a cyclon - or like the Millenium Falcon. :)

Maybe the sounds could be personalized, like ringtones?

Then you could have an electric car make a noise like a cyclon - or like the Millenium Falcon. :)

or a Spitfire
woohoo.gif

Will probably have to be standardised, at least to a degree. Too quiet and it's pointless, too loud and it's noise pollution. It also needs to be the sort of noise that carries fairly well and the direction can be reasonably surmised (they changed ambulance sirens a decade or two back to help with this).

I think clopping horse hooves would be a nice sound.

I think this was already a requirement elsewhere in Europe but only a option in the cars in the UK.

Personally I think it's very necessary and, to be honest, not just at low speeds; consider a car driving at speed down a country road on which you happen to be walking.

While personalised noises sound like fun, they'd be a pain - because they'd be a lot more attention attracting. If a petrol car drives past, you mentally log it as "car" - if some weird noise goes past you have to look at WTF was that.
Also, in the article, it is explaining how white noise works the best as it is easiest to track the direction it is coming from.
In terms of blind people you really need a standard noise - fun tones that might also be present on people's mobiles would be massively confusing - is someone walking down the pavement towards me with their phone ringing, or is that some **** driving their electric car down the pavement - or indeed someone backing out of their drive across the pavement.

Another thought in this is deafness - some people have reduced hearing at certain frequencies, but normal hearing in other frequencies. If you have a one tone noise, anyone deaf at that pitch won't hear it, but white noise should spread across all frequencies.

Nixie, at some point there'll probably be a system-wide attack with some scurrilous rogue reprogramming every car in Britain to play Let It Go.

If people die thanks to this theoretical hacker, because they didn't realise there was an electric car approaching, they should be imprisoned for manslaughter.

Here's an idea. they should sound like a gasoline powered automobile.;);) ==== And I agree the noise is likely necessary.

It should probably just be a similar sound to a gas car, since we already are keyed to listen to those.

I would propose adding a smell that further gets your attention. Let's engage all the senses.

So, what about the silent motorbikes and bikes and etc. which have already ruined talking a walk here?
I mean, it is now as dangerous on the sidewalk, as the road, no joke. Do you have that where you are yet?
Then, look at the bike lane - a moron every 5 min. No helmet, no light, texting, headphones on. Tons of 'em.

So, what about the silent motorbikes and bikes and etc. which have already ruined talking a walk here?
I mean, it is now as dangerous on the sidewalk, as the road, no joke. Do you have that where you are yet?
Then, look at the bike lane - a moron every 5 min. No helmet, no light, texting, headphones on. Tons of 'em.
Silent bicycles have been ruining your walks for 200 years.

Uh, no, it's the morons do that. The ones who ride on the sidewalk, get beaten senseless by some guy they run into as he comes out of a store, then appear on the Wanted bythe police TV ads that run constantly. This is new, and I now walk tight up against buildings, and always shoulder check before I cross the SIDEWALK. Wait'll it happens to yer town or city - , one foot away, WHOOSH! From behind, past you, 30 MPH, over 300 lbs. - on dope, just flyin! On the sidewalk. IF u challenge, they spazz and attack! even tho they are breaking at least 3 laws already! Wait till it happens where you are - then we could discuss it again.

Back