Kilauea volcano and earthquakes in Hawaii

I don't think the people I mentioned on "new reports" expressing their surprise were actually from Hawaii. I think people who live in a zone know the power that could be unleashed and have respect for that.

Those really big events were explosive - whole mountains disappearing, being reduced to rocks, dust and ash - the Earth literally shaking - tsunami waves on the opposite sides of oceans. However, there are active volcanoes in many places where people just carry on life regardless. As you say, what choice do they have?

Incidentally, regarding SO2 I have seen a proposal that would cause global cooling at very little or no cost. It is already true that jet contrails are a major cause of global cooling; since the introduction of passenger jets, cirrus cloud cover over the Atlantic has increased markedly. (The reason is contrails spreading into general cloud cover under the right conditions.)

The proposal is to increase the sulfur content of jet fuel, thus leading to denser contrails which would reflect more sunlight.

I have always been fascinated with vulcanism and plate tectonics. A couple of things: 1. The ridges in the deep ocean are important for keeping the planet healthy and livable. They are like the recycling centers of Earth’s crust.
2. Volcanic rubble becomes very fertile within less than a century. From this article about Mt. Saint Helens : "...hundreds of square miles of century-old forests destroyed by the eruption have come back, in many ways richer and surprisingly different than before. "

Last edited:
Incidentally, regarding SO2 I have seen a proposal that would cause global cooling at very little or no cost. It is already true that jet contrails are a major cause of global cooling; since the introduction of passenger jets, cirrus cloud cover over the Atlantic has increased markedly. (The reason is contrails spreading into general cloud cover under the right conditions.)

The proposal is to increase the sulfur content of jet fuel, thus leading to denser contrails which would reflect more sunlight.

One reason I would be concerned about this "solution": so2 - Sulfur dioxide is the chemical compound with the formula SO ₂. It is a toxic gas with a pungent, irritating smell. A much safer Anti-greenhouse gas is water vapor which is largely what jet contrails are made of. Not that Jets are a solution - they also produce lots of carbon dioxide. I've heard of a new idea that I like for climate change recently. The main threat is to populations that live near the ocean. The idea is to construct some massive automated digger/haulers that could dig something like a moat around major seaside cities. You would start at the back of the city opposite the seafront and stop just short of the ocean on either side. Then slice open grooves as necessary. It would most likely be easier than building walls, although the sea facing side of the city would still require that.