The new forum upgrade

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
New front page looks good but it brings home that Brian had to
Pay for it and we’re not contributing. How is the subscription plan moving in? I, for one, don’t need additional benefits installed before I’d take one out. They can be added in retrospect if that’s the model forwards, or never added, but I’d like to pull my weight in supporting xx

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm noticing that I'm still not getting alerts for new posts in the Reviews Forum which I have set as a watched forum. I only get alerts for posts to threads I've posted to and am therefore watching in the normal thread manner.
I've asked the forum software developers about this. :)

Also, another outstanding task is that I need to look at is how to build a fair "resident authors" list. I am very aware that there are a lot of writers here who do not yet have a tag, but I haven't yet considered what rules to put in place for building these. Another thing for my to-do list. :)

Phyrebrat

ba-Ba-ba-brat
Supporter
Also, Boss, in the old smartphone layout the page numbers were at the top and bottom of the page like on the web version, but in this iteration, they're just at the bottom.

It does mean a lot of scrolling down when navigating and I wonder if you could add them to the top, please.

I like the front end... a lot.

pH

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
in the old smartphone layout the page numbers were at the top and bottom of the page like on the web version, but in this iteration, they're just at the bottom.

It does mean a lot of scrolling down when navigating and I wonder if you could add them to the top, please.
The template system is simple with some issues, and complex with others - I haven't yet got a handle on how to edit the mobile version of the site as yet.

However, I've just suggested to the forum software developers that they include this by default in future. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm noticing that I'm still not getting alerts for new posts in the Reviews Forum which I have set as a watched forum. I only get alerts for posts to threads I've posted to and am therefore watching in the normal thread manner.
Apparently they should be working - but I'm getting quite a few alerts bounced: flagged as spam by various providers. Is it possible this may be happening to you?

I'm actually tempted to run a query on the forum database turning all email alerts off, so that members have to actively opt-in to them - at the moment I think they're on by default, which may be causing the problems.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
It's possible if they bounced as I'd never have got to see them. I sympathise with you here, by the nature of our business we have to send a lot of legitimate emails out - acknowledging orders, sending links for people to download ordered digital images, etc. - and we keep getting blocked by some of the fussier providers like Hotmail and gmail. It's a real pain :( We've tried doing all the stuff like registering ourselves here there and everywhere as legitimate senders but it still keeps happening.

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
Staff member
The strobing 'register' button when you're logged out is a potential accessibility issue. I don't know if it strobes enough to cause seizures in folks who are epileptic, but it might?

Maybe just outline the button in red? (I don't know if this came with the new software or was there before, since I was rarely logged out, but I caught it when I visited the site on my phone the other day.)

-K2-

mƎ kn0w dUm!
The strobing 'register' button when you're logged out is a potential accessibility issue. I don't know if it strobes enough to cause seizures in folks who are epileptic, but it might?

I'm not an expert, yet what I have been shown that can cause a seizure and what can-not, the 'join/register' button definitely falls to the not side. However... When you read the welcome message backwards it states; "become one with the devil... write romance novels..."

Just sayin' ;)

K2

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've now added the feature slider - that way I can highlight the latest 300 word competition, while also keeping news about the changes up for less regular visitors. Still tweaking settings, though - next time I'll make a point to prepare better images for the features in the slider.

Graymalkin

I've now added the feature slider - that way I can highlight the latest 300 word competition, while also keeping news about the changes up for less regular visitors. Still tweaking settings, though - next time I'll make a point to prepare better images for the features in the slider.
A great change!(y)

tinkerdan

∞<Q-Satis
Generally it needs to flash more than 3 times a second: I think at least on my computer it looks like once a second and it seems to have a pause in the loop:
And in the US they advise not using the following range: a frequency greater than 2 Hz and less than 55 Hz
Not everyone subject to seizures reacts to the same frequencies so even outside of the guidelines there could always be someone.

And just by discussing it here we could become subject to mass hysteria effect.