The new forum upgrade

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Does it include the Notices feature?
It has for some time, but I've rarely used it. But that's a good idea for encouraging participation in the Writing Challenges - might entice a few casual visitors to sign up and join in, too. :)

Another point on that - winning pieces for the challenges used to be republished on the old front end, but when I do the portalization I can feature the Writing Challenges directly on the front page. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Another little thing. When I'm browsing the site not logged in, with the style set to 'Default Red', the 'Register' link flashes all the time. It's only with Default Red though
That's an addon I thought I'd experiment with, in order to attract the attention of casual visitors and persuade them to sign up. :)

Btw, once I start the supporter subscriptions, I'll look to drop the ads.

Harpo

Laird Of Lewis
Jo Zebedee's section appears to have vanished from Featured Authors. When you search, the threads are there, and it says "Jo Zebedee" at the top, but clicking on Featured Authors gives the usual list except with a certain somebody missing.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Jo Zebedee's section appears to have vanished from Featured Authors. When you search, the threads are there, and it says "Jo Zebedee" at the top, but clicking on Featured Authors gives the usual list except with a certain somebody missing.
I've removed quite a number of author boards from public view as I move toward prioritising the tagging system - you should be able to see two different sets, according to whether you're on a board view, or a thread view.

A coding bug means I can't customise the display of author tags yet, so I've left the most recently active author boards up for the moment. However, once that's addressed I'll test removing all but a handful of author boards from view (leaving GRRM, Lovecraft, JK Rowling, and Tolkien - as they are so large), and simply leave a link to the Tags page.

Of course, if the tagging system doesn't work out I can easily make the boards visible again - but the tagging system is so much easier for keeping discussions together of specific authors.

In the meantime, I'd look for discussions on Jo Zeedee's books here: jo zebedee

HoopyFrood

The secret ingredient is crime
Was just getting a lot of ‘you have unsufficient privileges to post here’ and panicked a little, thought I’d been kicked out without knowing :D

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm about to experiment with the portal front end - don't panic!
Well... I gave it a quick test, and found it underwhelming - it was just a normal discussion list, displayed on the homepage.

Which could work - but I was hoping for something a little more... eye-catching.

Here's how it looked with just 3 threads populating it:

chrons-frontend.jpg

Additionally, I have to move threads into a new "Featured" board for them to display, which isn't ideal, as threads disappearing from their original forums into the Featured one might become confusing for some people.

Will have a little think about this...

EDIT: There is a more funky version, but I'd have to buy it and then do some tweaking. Will still rely on a Featured board, though. Can look seriously pretty, though...

Last edited:

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Right, that was a dud, so I've bought and installed something else.

Click on "Home" at the top - that's what I'm working on now as a possible homepage. No need for a "Featured" board - just promoted discussions from within the forums.

The one caveat is that I have to edit the original post to attach an image - I hope no one minds me doing that. :)

Dave

Wherever I Am, I'm There
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, I do like that.

Does it choose threads that contain media to feature, or are you adding those images through Google? If it is the former, then we are going to see threads with media attached becoming much more popular. That isn't anything more than an observation, but Tweets and Facebook posts wit media are about 30% more likely to be engaged with. In general, outside of certain threads, posts here don't have many images or media attached.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Does it choose threads that contain media to feature, or are you adding those images
I need to set up images as attachments for the homepage to display them. It looks like images of 400x250 pixels work best. I am having some CSS display problems with YouTube videos in th SFFchronicles2 style, so I've taken those off for the time being.

The beauty of this system is that I don't have to move threads around boards - it's just an additional setting on a chosen thread, little different from mod tools.

I'll still tinker with it over the coming days - I'm back at work again today, so my free time is restricted again until Sunday.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I'm noticing that I'm still not getting alerts for new posts in the Reviews Forum which I have set as a watched forum. I only get alerts for posts to threads I've posted to and am therefore watching in the normal thread manner.