The new forum upgrade

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
Apols if this has been reported it and I missed it because I'm too lazy to look back another page, but I ain't gettin' no email alerts right now.

But nice job on the update in general bossman :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
I'm having weird problems with alerts. The little bell isn't lighting up and showing numbers, but when I click it it is showing that I have new alerts, but acting as if I've already clicked them (which I haven't). I'm not sure if I'm missing alerts or not. When I click the alert it takes me to the right place. If I go to new posts the thread shows as unread - this is what lead me to notice the alert bell problem. Could just be me but thought I'd mention it. (on android phone)
Good point, I'll take a look at that - I know this came up with moderators, and it was because there are new permissions for viewing these. I'll check again for everyone else. :)

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
I still can't set up a poll...

...which I'll have to do on the 23rd of May at the latest (and, possibly, on the 16th of May if a tiebreaker poll is needed for the current 300-word Challenge...).

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
I think I've fixed that now. :)
Thanks, Brian. :)

I note that one adding new "options" is much easier than before (which required clicking on a button, that kept scroll off the bottom of the screen). The new software adds a new option when one first types into the last existing option (which is handy) AND "typing" includes presing the Tab key (I haven't tried any other options yet), which will be more than handy when I set up a poll (because I like to have enough options available before adding the names of challenge stories and their authors). Excellent! :):)

EDIT: The only downside is that I can't get more than 20 options, which isn't enough for the Challenges. :(

EDIT2: Oddly enough, one can give voters more than 20 votes (although how they would cast more than twenty remains to be seen...).

Last edited:

AlexH

I've had on and off problems logging in with Facebook (something about an account not being associated with my Facebook profile) but it's worked just.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
I've had on and off problems logging in with Facebook (something about an account not being associated with my Facebook profile) but it's worked just.
Let me know if you get any more problems with this - the software uses an app supplied by Facebook, so I'm not expecting any problems with it directly. However, there may be issues with cached files and scripts from the older forum software, which did use an older Facebook app.

AlexH

Let me know if you get any more problems with this - the software uses an app supplied by Facebook, so I'm not expecting any problems with it directly. However, there may be issues with cached files and scripts from the older forum software, which did use an older Facebook app.
I was wondering how I could let you know if I couldn't log in! But the cache shouldn't have been the problem as I tried in Google Incognito.

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Ah, sorry - there is a setting and I thought 20 would be fine - I'll up it to 50 and hope that covers it. :) If not, let me know...
We have had more than 50 stories on occasion. I'd go with at least 60, if I were you. It hasn't happened lately, but we may have a new renaissance one of these days. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Btw, I am aware of email problems, which affects both alerts and password recovery - I'm currently troubleshooting to see whether its the software or actually settings on the server causing this. Hopefully will be resolved shortly.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Btw, I've now added the option to search your PM's. If you go into your Inbox section, there should be a link in the top navigation bar (just under the main Members link) which should allow you to do that. It's a feature I've long needed for myself. :)

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
Apologies for the downtime this morning - the forum upgrade didn't go entirely smoothly. Although the upgrade hasn't finished, I'm going to work on styles and templates while the site is live, in order to let everyone back in to post. I'll update in this thread with anything happening, but do let me know if there are any bugs you want me to look at - though do be warned there may be a few during the next day or so while I tweak with things in the backend. Also, just to reassure everyone I do have a full back up of the original forum and blogs. :)
It's definitely cleaner, more modern looking, and faster. Good job.