The new forum upgrade

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Apologies for the downtime this morning - the forum upgrade didn't go entirely smoothly. Although the upgrade hasn't finished, I'm going to work on styles and templates while the site is live, in order to let everyone back in to post. I'll update in this thread with anything happening, but do let me know if there are any bugs you want me to look at - though do be warned there may be a few during the next day or so while I tweak with things in the backend. Also, just to reassure everyone I do have a full back up of the original forum and blogs. :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm leaving the style Default as is - I'm currently working on Default2 to put the red back in, but at the moment it's far too grey...

Abernovo

Supporter
I like it. It's nice and clean, in layout, and I think I'll get used to the slight differences pretty quickly. Okay, the default is a little too blue for me, but it's manageable until you get Default 2 sorted. :)

Ihe

Forum Revolutionary
I like it, but in also sticking to default2. That blue is too blue! (And, forgive my nitpickiness, that color doesn't go with the site logo at all).

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Still finding my feet with it as I've only just logged on, but a few issues I've noticed so far:
  • alerts aren't working properly -- one thread which I'm watching has had new posts today but wasn't on my alert list (it's a Staff Room thread, though, in case those are handled differently).
  • threads which are stickied have a different colour background in the sub-forums, but in New Posts there's no distinction between them and non-stickied.
  • I can't find a "Recent Posts" button -- I often use that in addition to New Posts if I want to return to a thread I've already looked at and which therefore doesn't appear on the latter. (Ah, after experimenting I see I can get to the equivalent by hitting the "Show only unread x" button, but it's not as user-friendly to my mind.)**
  • In the "Makes you smile" thread, I can see only a few images and by far the majority of the posts just have a link eg

1525609267832.png

** scrub that. I've just worked out what "What's new" is! :oops: (I hate the new smilies, by the way. )

Last edited:

Overread

Direwolf of the chrons
Only thing I dislike is that the sub-forums are now hidden and are a dropdown menu if clicked (which doesn't work for the author subforums at all). Hopefully adjusting the theme and display of the forums will resolve this matter :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Only thing I dislike is that the sub-forums are now hidden and are a dropdown menu if clicked (which doesn't work for the author subforums at all). Hopefully adjusting the theme and display of the forums will resolve this matter :)
Oh, that was the same with the old styles - I had to change some settings and add extra code to show those. I'll go hunting for newer versions now. :)