May 100 Word Anon Challenge - Story Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
This is the story thread for the May 100 Anon Challenge.

PM your stories to me and I will post them here.

Theme: Waves
Genre: Science Fiction or Fantasy

The voting for the May 75 Word Challenge ends at 11:59pm GMT on May 28th. That's when voting will start for the 100 anon. Voting will finish after 3 days on May 31st 11:59pm GMT.

Sea Wrack

Telani walked along the shore as the tide drifted away. The cries of gulls mixed with the hissing of gentle waves. Strands of seaweed, like mermaid hair, lay everywhere. Tangled within them were the gifts of the sea. Shells smaller than her fingernail or larger than her hand. The egg cases of sharks, so strange and beautiful. Soon she came upon the finest treasure of all. A human skeleton, in nearly perfect condition, washed up from some distant land. The Final War, which had spared her tiny island, was long over, and the bones would no longer be dangerously radioactive.

Heaven Blue

The beach is teeming with sunworshippers, north and south, endlessly.
Fifty years passed since I was seventeen, bodysurfing the Atlantic.
I trudge forward til the waves are smashing my chest like medicine balls, the sand flowing underfoot like a moving walkway, the salt air and water filtering through me like an anti-aging spell.
Remembering this days purpose I find the sweet spot where the tallest waves crest and assault dry land.
I go horizontal, catch and ride the curling eye of a watercannon.
I beach on a deserted shoreline and know that I have come home.

Goodbye my love.

Faint screams came over Carl’s speaker as the Enemy fleet smashed it's way through his squadron.

He held his position in front of Earth’s massed carrier's and waited his turn to face the onslaught.

Nothing could withstand the remorseless missile and laser barrage as the Enemy drew within full range.

He glanced around at the fighter ships of Earth’s last defence, so fragile looking compared to the massive Enemy craft.

Jenny, the fellow pilot who he sometimes shared a bunk with, gave a brave little wave goodbye through her cockpit screen, a second before their end came.

Medium Wove

The wireless squealed and hetrodyned, unable to Home in on the Light. Its green magic eye blinks sunspots, interference, anything but the bland Radio Orchestra. A housewife fumed behind her pile of laundry to be ironed, reduced to her grandmother's flat iron, as the electricity was too unstable. Her baby fretted - it might not understand the voice that normally told her stories, but their​

Shattered fragments of 'Voice of America' and 'Hilversum' wash in like battered jellyfish through the tide of interference.
Nasal transatlantic pop blends with evangelism, incomprehensible burst of foreign.

No Dales' harp. But laundry won't iron itself.​

Wave of Equality
I will never be rejected by another elite woman.
I will never be the recipient of another contorted sneer.
I will never stay home alone uninvited as another party rages on at a nearby warehouse.
I will never be an outcast freak again.
The Great Acid Ocean has been awakened of late, and Mai-Eeria—the city of revelry that boasts of equality, yet condemns to solitude all whose behavior will not conform—sits on the acid shore.
I bask in the shadow of the Acid Tsunami as it blocks out the sun, for soon we will all be truly equal.

Day Storm

“It’s so glassy!”

“This isn’t Delaware. No continents, no moons. We’re lucky to have clouds. Ready for lunch?”

“Mmmm... oh, sure. I’ll be by the shore.”

A tiring trip; the journey from orbit to Sean’s island taking longer than the parsecs from Earth. But the elevator would be down and functioning next week, and the beleaguered shuttle service retired. She poked a toe at one of the pearl-clusters swimming away from the rocks.

“Mom...”

Triumph. She grinned and gestured at the water lapping her ankles. “No waves, eh?”

“Mom, the elevator fell. Get in the house before the shockwave hits.”

A Tale of Two Worlds

Nemarus the Wizard called it a wave of magic.

Doctor Yancey, a scientist, called it a wave of anomalous energy.

It washed over both their worlds.

After a moment’s disorientation, a bazaar vendor found himself offering yarn to someone dressed head to toe in a material he couldn’t identify. The shocked astronaut dropped his scanner.

A dragon frighted at the flying metal structure suddenly beside him. The shuttle’s pilot screamed and nearly crashed.

Nemarus looked over at the female who’d suddenly appeared and smiled.

Dr, Yancey smiled back. “This is wonderful!”

“It certainly is,” Nemarus agreed.

The Girl With No Face

Marie was a teenage girl with black bobcut hair and a button nose. Her face; sundered by an electric blast. Her father, an architect and associate, a biomancer, collaborated to create a cyber-tarantula that could weave buildings. There was an enormous discharge.

Her father; ashamed, used nanotech spheres; revealing her countenance.

Ships parting a dock; backlit with scaffolds and radio-towers, she a beacon to all that saw. Wherever she looked were two violently gyrating eyes like lighthouses; red and blue. When she danced she appeared to almost evaporate into the atmosphere and return crashing like waves of condensation.

Red Dwarf: Echoic Effect

"Thanks for a boring explanation, Kryten."

"That weird anomaly had us repeating ourselves for 20 years."

"Correct, Cat. But another repetitious time wave, will strike again."

"How do we stop it?"

"Unfortunately, Mr Lister, it's inevitable."

"Well, I'm not looking at Rimmer for decades. A mouthful of curry, would be Heaven."

"Yuck. Now, why are you grinning, Cat?"

"I'm hoping you'll say something stupid for the duration."

"Fat, chance. Why are you all laughing at me?
Stop it. You lot, sicken me.
You think I'm an idiot, don't you?
I'm the Smeg Head...

I'm the Smeg Head..."

(continue repeating)

Let's All Drown

He shoves the line from one ear to the next, adding the severed head to the other 3 victims of this week.

The stench of un-headlined bodies fills his van.

Below, parades of people dance and celebrate the birth of a new queen.

He lands over a closed off alley, tips back his van and the 35 severed heads pour into the bin, out of sight.

Stolen souls seap into his car, screaming for entry to his mind.

He squirts the air freshener and turns up the radio. Music crashes the blood on the beach.

To Be Borne, Like Thy Bubbles, Onward

Nexil watched the ship approach, his scaled face evoking sadness. Barton, his guard, stood next to him.

Nexil said, "My memories..."

"Unfortunate side effect of interrogation probes."

Waves lapped the dock.

"I remember swimming freely in waters."

Nexil looked at Barton.

"You purposely erased critical memories about our nature."

"I don't…"

A grating laugh. "Understandable."

He gazed at the sea.

"I trust I can adjust to your waters."

Nexil leaped off the dock, morphing into an eel-like creature. He vanished in a silvery gleam.

Barton waved numbly, wondering what he would tell his superiors.

In the Beginning...

The world began with Ganju and Nurkhu, god-brothers of flame and twilight. Revelling in each other’s designs, they crafted a rich and vibrant planet. Their jewel caught Ulwa’s eye, goddess of water, whose beauty entranced them both.

To win her heart, Ganju offered the Flame Orb, set high above on a sheet of blue, lighting their world in full.

Likewise, Nurkhu offered the Pale Orb, setting it amid twinkling jewels, transforming their world into an ethereal mix of light and shadow.

Ulwa’s tears filled the earth.

The legacy of her indecision is marked by the waves on every shoreline.

My First Command

How well I remember my first command.

The first wave came, slowly advancing, forever sidling.

"They always send in their expendables first to lull you into a false sense of security. Don't be lulled."
These wise words imparted by my old mentor, Commander Swales.

Thus primed, I defeated this initial assault with minimal damage, eagerly awaiting the next.

Wave after wave followed, each faster and deadlier than the previous.

Inevitably, the invaders broke through the bunkers, destroying my laser cannon.

GAME OVER

With pride, I entered my initials onto the high-score table and deposited another ten pence.

Here and There

Waves crashed as Ricardo sat on a beach chair. On the horizon, a storm threatened. But nothing could break his smile.

Ricardo’s inhuman wail filled the room as his body convulsed, then slumped as Lillith disconnected the current. “Ready to talk?” she asked, tapping his cheek. He was still grinning.

She cursed, striking him before sitting “We need to enter his mind. Victor, take over.”

The storm came closer, but Ricardo pushed it back to the horizon. A pretty, bikini clad girl approached.

“Delilah, I presume?” he asked.

“No, Lillith,” she smiled, lying beside him. “So, where are you from?”

Status
Not open for further replies.