May 100 Word Anon Challenge Discussion Thread

The poll is now closed and we have a winner - In The Beginning... !

Still time for guessing but the author can reveal themselves if they wish but also spend some time thinking up a theme / genre for June.

Last edited:
I voted for To Be Borne, Like Thy Bubbles, Onward, which I think was written by our reviewer, @Victoria Silverwolf. She frequently writes of fantastical creatures, and is exceptional at showing their attributes through subtle hints in the story, rather than try to give an image of the creature from the outset. My only hesitation is that she tends to post early, but I think it is hers.

For my complete guess, which may be populated with complete guesses:

Ashleyne - Heaven Blue
Cathbad - Red Dwarf: Echoing Effect
D3athW4alker - In the Beginning
chrispenycate - Day Storm
dannymcg - Let's All Drown
Heijan Xavier - The Girl With No Face
jackwinabox57 - Here and There
johnnyjet - Goodbye, My Love
M Robert Gibson - Sea Wreak
mosaix - Medium Wove
Onyx - Wave of Equality
Star Beast - A Tale of Two Worlds
Sum Dude - My First Command
Victoria Silverwolf - To Be Borne, Like Thy Bubbles, Onward

JJ, you got 1 right.

My Guesses:

@Ashleyne - Let's All Drown
@Cathbad - My First Command
@chrispenycate - Medium Wove
@dannymcg - A Tale of Two Worlds
@Heijan Xavier - Wave of Equality
@jackwinabox57 - Day Storm
@D3athw4lker - Heaven Blue
@Joshua Jones - Here and There
@M. Robert Gibson - To Be Borne, Like Thy Bubbles, Onward
@mosaix - In the Beginning...
@Onyx - The Girl With No Face
@Starbeast - Red Dwarf: Echoic Effect
@Sum Dude - Goodbye my love
@Victoria Silverwolf - Sea Wrack

Johhny you got 6 correct!! I believe this is a record!

Still time for guessing but the author can reveal themselves if the wish but also spend some time thinking up a theme / genre for June
May I suggest (feel free to pick your own, anonymous winner!)...

Genre: Military sci fi
Theme: Magic ducks

BTW apologies for inadvertently turning off the poll feature that allows seeing who-voted-for-what. Don't know how that happened. Maybe it's a by product of turning on the feature allowing people to change their minds on the vote.

And there's me thinking it was part of the overall anonymity (and as such, perhaps too reasonable for those of us involved:))

JJ, you got 1 right.
Ah, well, at least I got one right!

Congratulations to the winner! I am not particular to myths, but it was a well written one, so great job!

I won't reveal mine yet, but I will say that one of the guesses above is correct.

I can't think hard enough to guess the stories. Congratulations to the winner. Congratulations to JJ as well. 6 of 15 is great. And thank you to the non-entrants who voted, it made the challenge more meaningful. I won't reveal mine yet, but I will say that it was well received and my the closest I have ever come to winning a challenge.

Thanks to those who voted for/mentioned my entry (I won't tell anyone who you are).

It was much better at 200+ words - honest!

Okay, here's the list of authors:

Ashleyne – Let’s All Drown
Cathbad – A Tale of Two Worlds
D3athw4lker - In The Beginning...
chrispenycate - Medium Wove
dannymcg – Goodbye My Love
Heijan Xavier - Wave of Equality
jackwinabox57 - Heaven Blue
johnnyjet – To Be Borne, Like Thy Bubbles, Onward
Joshua Jones – Here and There
M Robert Gibson - My First Command
Onyx - Day Storm
Star Beast - Red Dwarf: Echoic Effect
Sum Dude - The Girl With No Face
Victoria Silverwolf – Sea Wrack

I was the red herring. Thanks to everyone who entered. And thanks to everyone who voted, especially the 6 who didn't have en entry of their own. Ahem, that includes me by the way.

The winner was D3athw4lker! Congratulations. I'll send a PM asking for a theme / genre for June.

In the meantime we need a volunteer to host the June 100. Any offers?

Okay, here's the list of authors:

Ashleyne – Let’s All Drown
Cathbad – A Tale of Two Worlds
D3athw4lker - In The Beginning...
chrispenycate - Medium Wove
dannymcg – Goodbye My Love
Heijan Xavier - Wave of Equality
jackwinabox57 - Heaven Blue
johnnyjet – To Be Borne, Like Thy Bubbles, Onward
Joshua Jones – Here and There
M Robert Gibson - My First Command
Onyx - Day Storm
Star Beast - Red Dwarf: Echoic Effect
Sum Dude - The Girl With No Face
Victoria Silverwolf – Sea Wrack

I was the red herring. Thanks to everyone who entered. And thanks to everyone who voted, especially the 6 who didn't have en entry of their own. Ahem, that includes me by the way.

The winner was D3athw4lker! Congratulations. I'll send a PM asking for a theme / genre for June.

In the meantime we need a volunteer to host the June 100. Any offers?
First of all, thank you, Mosaix, for hosting this month! Traditionally, @D3athw4lker, you will have the first option to host, and if you are not particularly desirous to do so (no offense will be taken, I assure you), someone else will take over. Are you interested in hosting June's challenge?

I PMd D3athw4lker earlier today informing of the win, asking for a theme & genre and offering the chance to host but I’ve not heard back.

Congratulations D3athw4lker
@D3athw4lker

@Heijan Xavier - I picked you for your outstanding story. Stay awesome bro.

Red Dwarf: Echoic Effect (part 2)

Twenty years later

"I'm the Smeg Head, for putting up with you four gits."

"Oh Rimmer, you're a scream. BAh hah hah hah hah haaa haaa."

"Kochanski's right. You one funny dude. Oh, oh, I can't laugh anymore, my face hurts. Ha ha snort."

"Mine too. I think I burned out several circuits. But I don't care. Hee hee heeeeeeeee."

"I've got you all beat, by a mile."

"Why's that, Mr Lister?"

"I soiled myself. Five, times."

Everyone but Rimmer laughs. "You're all....BARBARIANS!"

"Aw, come on buddy. Don't go away mad, say something stupid first."

Everyone but Rimmer laughs again.

"OK, Cat. Leave him alone. We've teased him enough."

"Ya know, this one of the best times we've all had together. I mean, look at Kryten, he's short circuited and twitching, Kochanski is unconscious, I can't stop smiling with mascara running down my face, plus, you smell like a twenty year old out house. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to throw-up."

"No Cat! Not on the control panel."

"Sorry, I stormed off."

"Rimmer, look out!"

"BLAAAAAAGHHH!"

"AHRRGHN!"

"Rimmer, look out!"

"BLAAAAAAGHHH!"

"AHRRGHN!"

"Rimmer, look out!"

"BLAAAAAAGHHH!"

"AHRRGHN!"

"Rimmer, look out!"

"BLAAAAAAGHHH!"

"AHRRGHN!"

"Rimmer, look out!"

"BLAAAAAAGHHH!"

"AHRRGHN!"

And so on......for another twenty years.......

Holy moly!

Thank you so much to all the voters who liked my story, totally unexpected but thoroughly appreciated. Also a big thanks to all the voters who didn't enter a story. It was really awesome to see that there was interest and support from those individuals!

Again, big thanks to @mosaix for doing such a good job of hosting this one!! Certainly makes a tough act to follow...

Sorry I'm a bit later to reply, was away in for a wedding so didn't have a chance to jump on but I'll set up the June 100 challenge toute de suite!!!

Be prepared for a plethora of stories about ducks with mysterious magical abilities making a last stand in a future where martial superiority is all... I suspect @dannymcg might boss this one!

Many thanks again!!

D3

I voted for Red Dwarf: Echoing Effect, which I believe to've been written by Starbeast. I'm going for a 100% correct guess rate.

@Ashleyne Thank you for the vote. I wouldn't have known you voted for me, had I not read your post.
I added a "part two" to my tale (56th post), on this page.

Thanks for the votes and mentions, kind folks!

I was merely reminiscing playing those table-top Space Invaders that appeared in UK pubs in the early 1980s