DISCUSSION — May 2018 75-Word Writing Challenge

@Ashleyne .... BEYOND BEAUTY .... Shows us a love which actually tastes the beloved.

Weird fiction. I guess I gotta look that up. Hopefully, I'll come up with something.

I got my story in. I most likely missed it by a long shot. lol. I got it though. Keep in mind, I suck at coming up with story titles. That's why I don't title my chapters. I'd panic if I had to.

I got one but I'm keeping it for a while before posting it.

My last couple of stories were put out very quickly, but a few days later I could see things I wanted to tweak :)

So, I've been reading weird fiction for years and didn't know!
And the inimitable Saki.

There's a crossover with Magical Realism and Science Fiction in that the world can be recognisable, but...weird. So Iain Banks, Angela Carter, PK Dick, Tanith Lee, and James Tiptree Jr can all fit under the umbrella. Some beloved names there.

I'm not weird -- it's just what I'm reading. My new excuse.
Great choice of genre and theme, Hoops! Should be some good reading in this.

Ashleyne -- This surreal chiller offers a striking metaphor for the pain and power of love.

Cathbad -- This stylish adventure into another realm provides a welcome sense of nostalgia.

Cat's Cradle -- This thrilling account of a strange and terrible encounter yields a vision of nearly unimaginable vastness.

AstroZon -- This romantic science fiction story engages the reader with the passions of its characters.

Calliopenjo -- This theological fantasy gives us much to ponder about our destinies.

I'm in. Tried weird comedic but this idea kept coming back in my head, poking away, refusing to be ignored.

So dark it is.

Written on a sunny Saturday morning, sitting in McDs having a breakfast. #livingthehighlife

Last edited:
So it's the first Saturday night of my retirement and I don't have a sermon I need to give tomorrow. This feels weird! So I guess I'll catch up with my reviews.

@Cathbad .... Hoax or Not .... "Be careful what you wish for" because at the intersection of science and fantasy comes the Astral Viewer.

@Cat's Cradle .... The Cosmic Matryoshka ....
"Be Careful," you never know what's coming next.

@AstroZon .... Vesin Ambassador .... When you get the signal, "Follow through to win."

@Calliopenjo .... Sometimes... Even for an angel the appropriate maxim is "He who hesitates is loses."

@Victoria Silverwolf .... The Discovery .... A life of study will lead you to understand that "Only the Shadow knows."

@Onyx .... Metamorphic .... When you quarry yourself you must remember that "The one who breaks stones may be hurt by them."

@Luiglin .... The Dance .... When intoxicated "Beware the Siren call" no matter the how sensual the movement.

@Stable .... Release .... When you are dealing with things weirdly occult it pays to remember that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Weird fiction is a tough genre to write well I think. Good challenge!

My first attempt was not nearly weird enough.

Thanks Victoria and Parson for your reviews... and your speed! I barely posted the thing.