Robert Culp and Kathleen Ross in Space 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan_run

Science fiction fantasy
Robert Conrad and Kathleen Ross were considered for space 1999 had they been cast could they of been more popular?/

Personally, I don't think so. The acting wasn't a problem. Martin Landau and Barbara Bain were excellent, as was the rest of the cast - Catherine Schell and Barry Morse. My problem was with the scripts and the general fantasy elements of the direction the story went in. I'm certain that others will disagree with me though.

(BTW There is a Gerry Anderson forum here where this ought to go really. I'll move it at some point in the future.)

The very concept of the show is horrendously. flawed , but season one is at least watchable . The biggest mistake they made was hiring Fred Freiberger for season 2. As for season 2 , lots of really bad scripts. Then was Tony Vadecshi, Who was very obnoxious, unfunny and unlikable character.

This show had it's problems but in the mid 70s there was very little choice in sci-fi TV. I watched every episode as they aired in the US. Other sci-fi shows at the time were Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman and Invisible Man. While they were ok ,(sometimes better than ok) they were all similar structured, main character hero shows. Space 1999 was much more of a hard, space based, multi-character sci-fi show.

This show had it's problems but in the mid 70s there was very little choice in sci-fi TV. I watched every episode as they aired in the US. Other sci-fi shows at the time were Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman and Invisible Man. While they were ok ,(sometimes better than ok) they were all similar structured, main character hero shows. Space 1999 was much more of a hard, space based, multi-character sci-fi show.

Its production value were excellent , even by todays standards, it still looks pretty good . A few years back they were talking about rebooting space 1999. Andrew Gaska did Did a Graphic novel book Space 1999 Aftershock and Awe in this concept , The Earth of Space 1999 is alternate timeline to ours . It dead the after effects on Earth of the Moon breaking away.

Hokey scripts are always going to ruin a show. You could lock the cast in a basement, say that they are on a generation spaceship invented by Franz Ferdinand and it would be worth watching if the story and acting is decent.

The original choices for commander koeing.Doctor Helena Russel was Robert Culp . Katherine Ross.what the casting of these actors improved the show or was space 1999 dumbed no matter what.

I've merged your posts, because I think we already answered this question quite comprehensively when you asked it the first time. According to Wikipedia it was Robert Culp not Robert Conrad, who was in the frame, so I'm also going to change the thread title to reflect that. A Google search on "Robert Conrad Space 1999" currently brings only one hit; this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.